How’s that gift list coming along? Still need a few quick & inexpensive gift ideas? Yes? Then take a look at this Mitten & Snowball Ornament (you can also use gloves). You’ll find lots of colorful mittens and gloves in the $1 bin in craft stores and other chain stores, so the price is right. This is a Christmas craft kids can can help make, too. While you’re at it, make a few extra and you can craft a Mitten & Snowball Garland, too.
To make a Mitten & Snowball Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Two, 2” balls; scrap piece
- Child’s mittens or gloves, one pair
- Chenille stems, two
- Textured snow paint
- Trims: Green felt & red buttons
- Ribbon, 12” length
- Double-sided tape (optional)
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife* and an old candle or bar of soap; paint brush
*NOTE: If the kids are helping out, have them use a plastic knife.
To make a Mitten & Snowball Ornament:
1. Insert chenille stem into each mitten, and shape it so it’s slightly cupped, like a hand holding a ball.
2. Wax the serrated knife blade with a bar of soap or old candle. Slice off about ¼ of the ball. (Kids can do this step with a plastic knife.)
3. Insert a toothpick into the flat side of each ball and use it as a handle. Coat the balls with snow paint, covering completely. Do not apply paint to the flat back of each ball. Insert toothpicks into a scrap of STYROFOAM Brand Foam and let paint dry.
4. Attach snowballs to mittens by gluing the flat side of each ball to the mittens, or use double-sided tape on the back of each ball. Press the snowballs into the palm area and use the chenille stems to form the mitten around the snowball.
5. Cut holly leaf shapes from the felt. Glue the leaves and button “berries” to the wrist of each mitten.
6. Glue a length of ribbon to the inside wrist area of each mitten, creating a hanger for the ornament.
This week, it’s all about easy crafts you can make with socks, mittens and gloves. Tune in tomorrow for the next installment . . .
P.S. I know you won’t want to miss this week’s giveaway!