Happy Friday! Here’s a festive Christmas decoration to make this weekend – a red & white Deco Mesh Christmas Topiary. So many readers had fun with Patty Schaffer’s Halloween Deco Mesh Ghost, and I think you’ll love her beautiful red & white Deco Mesh Christmas Topiary. It’s a pretty way to wrap up the red & white Christmas decorating ideas I’ve shared this past week or so. (If you’d like to make this Deco Mesh Christmas Topiary, don’t miss today’s giveaway.) **Please note: This giveaway is closed**
To make a Deco Mesh Christmas Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Two, 4” balls
- Wood dowels:
- One, 3/8” x 16”
- Five, 1/8” x 12”
- Terra cotta pot, 5”
- Spray paint: Primer, red, and white (Patty used Krylon)
- Decorative Mesh, 10” wide, in red and white (you’ll find it at WalMart)
- Small red ornaments
- Floral wire
- White felt
- Crystal glitter
- Ribbon, Christmas print
- Low-temperature glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; newspaper; foam brush; optional: serrated knife
To make a Deco Mesh Christmas Topiary:
1. Protect work area with newspaper, and work outside or in a well-ventilated area. Following instructions on the can, spray paint the pot with primer and let dry. Paint the pot red and let dry.
2. Spray paint the wood dowels white and let dry. (Hint: Insert dowel into a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam to hold it upright while you spray paint.)
3. Insert wood dowel into 4” ball. Remove the dowel, add glue to the hole, and reinsert the dowel. Let the glue set up.
4. Push the second foam ball down into terra cotta pot. If needed, trim ball with a serrated knife till it fits. Glue ball in place. Insert dowel into the foam ball, remove, add glue to hole, and reinsert the dowel. Let the glue set up.
5. Cut Deco Mesh into 7” lengths. You will need about 36 strips for the topiary, or 18 of each color. Cut the wire into 36, 3” lengths.
6. Roll a mesh strip to form a tube. Fold in half and pinch at the center, making a “V’ shape. Secure with a wire, twisting to hold the tube tight. Repeat for each Deco Mesh strip.
7. Insert the wire ends into the foam ball. Repeat, alternating red and white as you go, till the ball is covered.
8. Make ten ornament picks:
- Using 8” lengths of floral wire, wire together ten groups of three red ornaments.
- Cut the 1/8” dowels in half.
- Wrap the wire tails from an ornament cluster around the end of a dowel.
- Position the dowel so it’s in the center of the ornament cluster, hold dowel upside down, and glue the wire and ornaments to the dowel. Hold dowel upside down till glue sets.
- Repeat for the remaining dowels.
9. Insert the ornament picks into the topiary between the Deco Mesh.
10. Cover the foam ball base with white felt, folding the felt so it looks like a snow drift. Glue the felt to the edges of the pot. Brush Mod Podge across the felt and sprinkle with glitter. Tap off excess and let dry.
11. Tie a bow around the bottom of the wood dowel.
I’m excited for today’s giveaway – one lucky Crafts ‘n Coffee reader will receive red and white Deco Mesh; two, 4” balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam; and one of our craft aprons! What fun! If you’d like to enter, please tell me about the colors you plan to use for your Christmas décor. Are you a fan or red and white? Or maybe glistening metallics? Or something else entirely??
I can’t wait to hear about your Christmas decorating plans. Please leave your comment below by midnight on November 28 (Thanksgiving!) and I’ll announce the winner on Friday, November 29.
**Please note: This giveaway is closed.**