Today’s Halloween crafts are a handful (ha, ha). You can make jack-‘o-lanterns, black cats or witches – all three super-cute Halloween crafts are made from a glove and a terra cotta pot. I’m sharing the tutorial for the Handful of Pumpkins here, and linking below to the tutorials for the Handful of Kittens and Handful of Witches.
To make a Handful of Pumpkins, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Five 1” balls
- Knit glove in orange
- Fiberfil stuffing, handful
- Floral wire, green
- Chenille stems, brown
- Felt scraps: black & green
- Terracotta flower pot, small
- Acrylic craft paint, black
- Spanish moss, handful
- Low-temp glue gun
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; 1” paintbrush; wire knippers; pencil
To make a Handful of Pumpkins:
1. Paint the terra cotta pot black; let dry.
2. Insert a 1” ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam into each finger of the glove, and wiggle it to the tip of the finger. (HINT: If the glove will not flex, turn the finger inside out, place ball at tip, and then pull the finger over ball. Repeat for each finger, and then turn the glove right side out.)
3. Wind a 2″ length of floral wire around the glove just under each ball; trim wire.
4. Lightly stuff the glove with fiberfill.
5. Gather the cuff of the glove together and fold the thumb toward the center. Attach the cuff to the bottom of the flower pot using a generous amount of low temp glue. Hold in place till the glue sets.
6. Glue small pieces of Spanish moss down around the glove, and gently stretch pumpkins up above the rim of the flower pot.
7. Wind a chenille stem around a pencil; cut into several pieces and glue coiled stems into Spanish moss.
8. Cut five, 1″ lengths of chenille stem. Use the tip of the scissors to carefully poke a hole into the top of each pumpkin. Add a dab of glue in each hole and insert pumpkin stems. Shape the stems with fingers.
9. Cut small leaves from green felt. Shape several leaves by gluing together the bottom corners, forming cupped shape. Referring to photo, glue leaves around the bases of the pumpkins. Cut out very small leaves and glue to pumpkin stems.
10. Have fun cutting different jack-o-lantern faces from black felt. Glue to pumpkins using white craft glue.
Each of the photos below links to the tutorials for the Handful of Kittens and Handful of Halloween Witches. Make one or make all three! I think you could also make a Handful of Ghosts by using a white glove and features cut from black felt.