Friday the 13th? Mwa-ha-ha . . . it’s the perfect day for a Halloween craft. But there’s no bad luck here, these Duct Tape Candy Corn Cuties are all good. These little guys are a miniature version of the Duct Tape Candy Corn Door Hanger from earlier this week. Only these sweet little Candy Corn Cuties pack a lot of fun and personality into their smaller size.
To make a Duct Tape Candy Corn Cutie, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 18” x 1” sheet (if this size is not available, use a larger sheet and save the remaining foam for a later use)
- Duct tape, one roll each yellow, orange, and white (I used Duck Tape from Manco)
- Wiggle eyes, four
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; pencil; newspaper; ruler
To make a Duct Tape Candy Corn Cutie:
1. Using a pencil and a ruler, draw your candy corn pattern on the newspaper. My candy corn patterns measured:
- Large cutie: 7-1/2” wide at the base, 2” wide at the top, and 10” tall.
- Small cutie: 6” wide at the base, 2” wide at the top, and 8-1/2” tall
2. Cut out your patterns, and pin them to the sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Using a ruler and sharp pencil, draw around the pattern, scoring foam. Wax the knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Use knife to score the lines again. Position foam sheet so that the score line is along the edge of a table. Press down, breaking foam cleanly along the scored line. Using knife, round the corners. Sand all sides and rough edges with a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
3. Center a 10” strip of yellow duct tape along the bottom edge of each candy corn. Fold over tape onto the front and back, and smooth out along the edges. If needed, carefully trim away excess tape around the corners so that the tape will sit flat.
4. Cover the candy corn in duct tape strips, gluing the ends of each strip to the back. Beginning at the bottom of the candy corn, add:
- Two yellow strips.
- Three orange strips.
- One white strip. Carefully fold the white strip around the curved top, keeping it as smooth as possible.
5. Tear off a 5” x 1” strip of white duct tape. Carefully adhere it along the curved edge at the top.
6. Glue wiggle eyes onto the each figure.
9. Glue a spider onto the big cutie.
If you’d like a little more candy corn fun, check out these three Corny Characters.
It’s Friday! Have you had a good week? Any fun plans for the weekend?
I’ll see you tomorrow with the final project of Candy Corn Crafts week.