How cute (and easy) is this Springy Snowman Ornament? Today’s snowman ornament is fun to customize, too. Maybe your snowman prefers red boots, or a plaid scarf, or?? Have fun with him, and make a few extras for last-minute gifts. (For a few more ideas for no-melt snowmen you can make this summer, consider the Handful of Snowmen and the Snowman Swag.)
To make a Springy Snowman Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: One each 2” and 1-1/2” balls
- White glitter
- Chenille stems: Two, 12” x ¼” in white; one blue
- Half-round beads, two 5mm in black
- Felt: Scraps of blue, white and black
- Pompoms: Two ½” blue; one ¼” orange
- Pink chalk
- Mod Podge
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; newspaper or box lid; toothpicks; paintbrush; wood dowel, ½” diameter
To make a Springy Snowman Ornament:
1. Insert a toothpick into each foam ball to use as a handle. Spread out newspapers or work over a box lid. Brush Mod Podge onto the foam balls. Sprinkle with glitter. Let dry.
2. Wrap the 12” x ¼” white chenille stem around the ½” diameter wood dowel. Gently release the spring. Bend the top and bottom of the chenille stem so each end points straight up or down.
3. Add a dab of glue on each end of the chenille stem and insert the ends into the glittered balls.
4. Cut two, 2” x ½” arms from white felt. Cut out two small blue mittens. Glue a mitten to the end of each arm. Glitter each cuff with glue and glitter. Glue the arms to the bottom of the head at the spring.
5. Cut a 5-1/2” x ½” scarf from blue felt. Wrap scarf around the bottom of the head and glue in place.
6. Cut two small boots from black felt. Glue to the bottom of the body.
7. Bend a 1-1/2” blue chenille stem into a U-shape and glue onto the head for an earmuff wire. Glue ½” blue pompoms on each end.
8. Glue on half-round beads for eyes and orange pompom for a nose. Color cheeks by very lightly tapping pink chalk onto face.
9. Bend 6” white chenille stem into a large hook. Insert and glue the straight end into the top of the head.
Does this Springy Snowman Ornament remind anyone else of the Slinky Dog pull-toy from years ago? Or is that just me?
I’m going to wrap up Christmas in July tomorrow, and I’ll have a tutorial for another ornament that I think you’ll really like. See you then!
Happy Christmas crafting!