Today is the finale in the mini-series of patriotic flag crafts, and I’m featuring my no-sew, America-The-Beautiful Flag. This super-easy flag craft is part of the I Love the USA blog hop introducing Laura Kelly’s new patriotic fabric, America The Beautiful. Laura is the artist behind the cute family decals you see in car windows, and many other products decorated with her whimsical illustrations. When I saw the fabric with its broad, colorful stripes and all-American kids, I knew I had to make a flag for July 4th.
Because denim was invented right here in the good ol’ U.S.A., I used it to create the blue field and accented it with whipstitching and ric rac around the edges. To keep this no-sew, the whipstitching is totally optional. For a final touch, I added button “stars” from the Laura Kelly button mix from Buttons Galore. This is a really quick craft, so I hope you’ll give it a try.
To make an America-The-Beautiful Flag, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 18” x 1” sheet
- America The Beautiful fabric, 2/3 yd. (available at Jo-Ann Stores)
- Denim, small scrap
- Ric rac, red
- Buttons, assorted red, white and blue
- Ribbon, 1” x 36”
- Straight pins
- Low-temp glue gun
- Fabric adhesive
- Optional: Red thread and sewing machine
- Tools needed: Scissors; pen, pencil or fine-line marker
To make an America-The-Beautiful Flag:
1. Place a 24” x 18” piece of fabric face down on your work surface. Center the foam sheet on the fabric, and wrap the fabric around the foam sheet, just like wrapping a package. Carefully fold the fabric at the corners to keep it neat. Pin and glue the extra fabric to the back.
2. Whipstitching: This step is totally optional. If you don’t plan to stitch around the edge of the denim heart, go on to Step 3. You are welcome to hand stitch around the heart, but I’m o.k. with shortcuts and I used my sewing machine. To add the decorative stitching by machine, draw a heart shape on the denim and stitch along the outline. Cut out the heart as close to the stitching as possible, without cutting into the stitching.
3. Cut out heart and stitch or glue ric rac along the edge on the reverse side. Glue heart onto flag.
3. Glue buttons on heart.
4. Pin and glue ribbon to each side of flag for a hanger.
All week long, the I Love the USA blog hop has showcased bloggers and their patriotic crafts made with Laura’s fabric. Here are links to the bloggers featured today. Be sure to stop in and say “hello.”
- Veronica White at Laura Kelly Designs
- Amy Anderson at Mod Podge Rocks
- Holly Gagnon at Ribbons & Glue
- Mai Larsen at Creando Con Detalles
You can also see all of the I Love the USA designs on my Pinterest board.
I hope you enjoined the patriotic crafts this week.What have you been inspired to create?
Wishing you red, white and blue crafting adventures.