Kathleen George shares with us the prettiest Spring Yarn Wreath. The variegated yarn, in shades of lavender and lime, does the design work for you, layering on the stripes as you go. Kathleen used my favorite tip for making yarn wreaths fast – use a thicker yarn. The thicker the yarn you use, the faster you’ll wind your wreath. Then, embellish your Spring Yarn Wreath with felt flowers, buttons, or whatever you like. We couldn’t decide which version we preferred. Which one do you prefer?
Here’s version number one, decorated with felt flowers cut by hand or with a die-cutting machine. For version number two, we pinned on felt buttons shaped like flowers, and regular buttons, too. However you decorate it, I hope you’ll give this wreath a whirl.
To make a Spring Yarn Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” half-round wreath
- Variegated yarn
- Felt, two coordinating colors
- Buttons, coordinating colors
- Pearl head pins & craft pins
- Optional: Sizzix flower layers #3 and Leaves #2 (or use the pattern provided)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors
To make a Spring Yarn Wreath:
1. Wind your yarn into a ball (this helps prevent tangling).
2. Pin one end of the yarn to the back of the wreath. Keep winding the yarn around the wreath, making sure not to leave any bare spots.
3. When the entire wreath has been wrapped, cut the yarn and pin the end to the back of the wreath.
4. Using Sizzix flower dies or the patterns, cut six sets of layered flowers and six leaves from felt.
5. Assemble the flowers and glue to the wreath. Pin a button in the center of each flower. Glue a leaf on either side of three of the flowers.
6. Glue and pin a loop of felt to the top back center for a hanger.
Here’s another way to decorate your wreath. This version of the yarn wreath is decorated with purchased felt flower buttons and a variety of other colorful buttons.
How would you decorate your Spring Yarn Wreath?