You may or may not remember my Moss Rock & Pumpkin Wreath from last fall. I knew I wanted to update it for spring, and had an idea to add a few colorful mushrooms. Then, Rebekah Meier created these awesome felted mushrooms with wine cork stems and they were perfect for my Moss Rock Wreath. I added a few little flowers and a butterfly, and voila, my wreath is now ready for spring.
You’ll start by making the Moss Rock Wreath. Shop your local dollar store for the moss rocks – that’s where I found mine. When I decorated the wreath, I used pins and toothpicks to add the decorations so they would be easy to remove.
Next, you’ll need to felt a few mushrooms. I like the bright, red and white, but you could go with a more natural palette, too.
To make Felted Mushrooms, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1”, 1-1/2” and 2” balls
- Wool roving: Red and cream
- Wine bottle corks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; pencil; felting needle*; dental floss OR serrated knife
*Note: The higher the needle number, the finer the needle and the smaller the hole left in the project. Felting needles are extremely sharp; always use caution.
To make Felted Mushrooms:
1. With sharp pencil, draw a line around the middle of a ball. To cut the ball in half, use dental floss or a serrated knife:
- Place dental floss directly on the scored line. Pull floss tightly, cutting ball in half.
- If cutting with a serrated knife, wax the knife blade with a bar of soap or old candle. Cut the ball in half on the scored line.
2. Using thumbs, gently push on the cut side of the ball, creating an indentation. Glue wine cork into indentation. Let glue dry.
3. Place a small piece of red roving on top of the mushroom, and felt it to the foam ball using the felting needle (remember, the needle is extremely sharp!). Continue adding fiber and felting until the mushroom cap is covered.
4. Felt the cream roving on the flat, under side of mushroom.
5. Roll very small pieces of cream roving into balls. Place balls on the top of mushroom. Needle felt to secure, creating polka dots.
6. Repeat steps, creating several mushrooms.
To decorate the Moss Rock Wreath for spring, glue on mushrooms, small flowers and a butterfly.