I can’t let Easter come and go without an Easter bunny craft, and today’s bunny is pretty special. This little bunny is made in Japanese amigurumi style, a super-sweet look in which the heads are bigger than the bodies and the faces often take on human expressions. Traditionally, amigurumi figures are knit or crochet, but Rebekah Meier shares a shortcut technique. Don’t miss the other Easter bunny crafts I’ve included, too.
To make an Easy, Amigurumi Bunny, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: one each 2-1/2” and 2” balls, and four 1” balls
- Soft, textured yarn, cream
- Black beads, two 8mm
- Felt, small scrap of pink
- Embroidery floss, brown
- Small purple flowers or other embellishments
- Grosgrain ribbon, purple
- Fabric glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins; embroidery needle; round toothpicks
To make an Easy, Amigurumi Bunny:
1. Glue end of yarn to the top of the 2” ball; pin in place while glue dries. Wind yarn around the ball, gluing and pinning as you go. Repeat for the 2-1/2” ball. Let glue dry. The 2” ball is the body, and the 2-1/2” ball is the head.
2. Insert a toothpick in each 1” ball to use as a handle. Wrap the four 1” balls in yarn, following instructions in Step 1.
3. Cut a small circle from the pink felt. Using 3 strands of embroidery floss, stitch an X in the middle of the circle. Glue the pink nose to the center of the face. Glue black beads on either side for the eyes.
4. Cut ears from felt. Glue yarn to the ears. Let glue dry.
5. Assemble the bunny with toothpicks and glue. Insert a toothpick into the top of the body, and glue and pick the head to the body. Repeat for each arm and leg.
6. Glue ears to the head.
7. Glue a small blow to the ear and add flowers.
For two more bunny crafts for the kids, take a look at the Bunny Babies and Glove Bunny. The little Bunny Babies are made from socks, and would make sweet basket stuffers. The Glove Bunny is made from a glove, of course. The photos link to the tutorials.
Are you a fan of the amigurumi style? My daughter adores all things amigurumi, so we have quite a few little amigurimi items around here. How about you?