These eggs are fresh! What I mean is that while this technique – tucking fabric pieces into foam eggs, is nothing new, Kathleen George uses fresh, updated fabrics to make these zippy, Tucked Fabric Easter Eggs. If you don’t have fabric scraps at home, pick up a few fat quarters at the store and you’re ready to go. (And don’t forget about the Easter Eggstravaganza giveaway!)
To make Tucked Fabric Easter Eggs, you will need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 3” eggs
- Fabric, assorted scraps
- Batting, thin
- Cording, 1 yd. per egg
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; measuring tape; rubber band; sharp pencil; table knife with thin blade; small gold craft pins
To make Tucked Fabric Easter Eggs:
1. Center a rubber band vertically around the middle of the egg and using a sharp pencil, score a line around the middle of the egg.
2. Center the rubber band horizontally around the egg, spanning from top to bottom. Follow the rubber band to score a horizontal line all the way around the egg. Repeat, dividing the halves into four equal quarters.
3. Carefully score the lines again, to be sure you can clearly see the grooves.
4. Using the patterns , cut out batting for each section. Glue batting to the center of each section with a dot of glue.
5. Cut out fabrics for each section. Attach fabric to the egg:
- Center a fabric piece over the corresponding piece of quilt batting.
- Position the knife blade on the fabric directly over a scored line.
- Keeping the knife as straight as possible, gently push the fabric seam allowance straight into the surface of the ball.
- Use the tip of the knife to smooth out the fabric.
- Repeat till all sides are tucked into the egg.
- Add the other fabric pieces in the same manner.
- When egg is covered, use small scissors to carefully trim away any excess fabric and threads.
6. Cut satin cord to fit the seam lines. Glue cord into the grooves, tucking cut ends under an overlapping piece, when possible. Pin ends of cord to the top and bottom of the egg with small gold pins.
And now for the Easter Eggstravanganza giveaway . . . I have a really fun prize package that includes one dozen eggs of STYROFOAM Brand Foam; the winter issue of Stitch Craft Create; and TWO chocolate bunnies – milk chocolate and dark chocolate.
To win, just leave a comment every day during the Easter Eggstravaganza. The more days you comment, the more entries you’ll have. The Easter Eggstravaganza runs from March 2 – midnight on March 10. I’ll announce the winner on Tuesday, March 12. Have fun, and thank you for following along.
Happy Easter egg crafting!