Happy Valentine’s Day! Today is a day for pampering, which is why I’m sharing this beautiful, and sweetly scented, Vanilla Rose Pomander. The pomander is designed by spa crafting experts Jennifer & Kitty O’Neil, the talented pair behind the blog Running with Sisters. (Perhaps you remember their book Steampunk Chic?) And speaking of books, we have a giveaway today, but let’s make a sweet, Vanilla Rose Pomander first.
To make a Vanilla Rose Pomander, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 6” ball
- Silk shantung fabric, 20” x 20” square in cream
- Satin ribbon, 1-1/2” x 1 yd. in burgundy
- Silk flowers: three, 3-1/2” red roses; six, 3” pink dogwood blossoms
- Pearls, 10
- Glitter, silver
- Candle scents: vanilla and rose
- Straight pins
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; iron & ironing board; paintbrush; newspaper or shallow box lid; wire cutters (optional)
To make a Vanilla Rose Pomander:
1. Iron the silk shantung. Cut the fabric into a 20” diameter circle. Center the ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam on the fabric and pull up two opposite sides to cover the ball. Pin at the top. Pull the opposite sides up and pin. Neatly fold and tuck the remaining fabric up around the ball and pin at the top.
2. To create a loop hanger, fold over 7” of the burgundy ribbon and tie a knot. Insert a pin next to the knot, and pin the ribbon to the ball; add a dab of glue, if needed. Wrap the remaining ribbon around the ball, and pin the other end to the top. Trim off excess ribbon.
3. Cut three silk roses from their stems. Dab the center of each rose with the rose scent and the vanilla scent. Let dry. Position the roses facing out and glue around the ribbon loop.
4. Cut the pink dogwood blossoms from their stems. Lightly brush craft glue onto the edges of the petals, applying more on some petals and less on others. Paint craft glue on the flower centers. Working over a newspaper or shallow box top, sprinkle with silver glitter. Let glue dry, and then shake off excess glitter. Glue two pearls to the center of each flower.
5. Tuck two dogwood blossoms between each rose, overlapping them, and glue in place.
Could you use a little more pampering? Or new ideas for a girl’s craft night, or a little inspiration for handmade gifts? Then you’ll want to check out Jennifer’s and Kitty’s newest e-book, The Joy of Scents: Spa Delights To Make, Keep, and Share. Imagine 66 pages of beautifully illustrated spa crafts!
Or, maybe you can win a copy. Here’s today’s giveaway:
- Jennifer and Kitty are offering three Crafts ‘n Coffee readers a free pdf download of their new book The Joy of Scents.
- The first name drawn will also receive a copy of the O’Neil sister’s book Steampunk Chic.
If you’d like to win, tell me who you would treat to a day at the spa. Your sister? Mother? A girlfriend? Husband? You have till midnight on Thursday, February 21 to enter. I’ll announce three winners on Friday, February 22.
Happy Valentine’s Day and happy crafting!