Keeping it real: I’m in the business of boxes

You know I work in the craft industry, right? And maybe you even thought that it was a kind of cool, maybe even kind of glamorous job? Some days it can be a lot of fun, and other days, well, I call myself Vice President and General Manager of Boxes. Today I wanted to share a behind-the-scenes view of what really goes on around here . . .

behind-the-scenes in the craft industry

Here come the boxes!

A couple of times a year, the boxes start to arrive. Boxes from all around the country, stuffed with the latest and greatest craft projects from designers. And the process of box management begins . . . The boxes go to the photographers, where the projects are unpacked and photographed. And then everything is boxed up again and comes back here.

life in the day of a craft blogger

Boxes, boxes everywhere!

Then, I sort through, unpacking and repacking projects for their various destinations. And that’s what I was doing this weekend, sorting and packing and sorting and packing. I have projects boxed up and ready to go to Crafts ‘n things, Create and Decorate, Halloween Tricks & Treats, Paper Creations, and Stitch Craft Create. And then there are boxes of designs waiting to be featured right here on Crafts ‘n Coffee later this year.

keep it real: boxes and craft bloggers

I think this is a good excuse to not make dinner, don’t you?

So, the boxes kind of took over this weekend. They poured out all over the kitchen – the floor, the counters, the table, down the hallway.

secret life of a craft blogger

No surface was safe from the boxes.

craft bloggers keeping it real

A parade of boxes marches right on down the hallway.

I really ought to be doing this in the basement, don’t you think? Except for one thing – the basement is already packed with boxes! Yep, the basement is in need of a little box management, too.

behind the scenes in the craft industry

Yikes – box overload! Time to clean the basement . . .

It’s not glamorous work, that’s for sure. But here’s what I love about it – the projects are always beautiful and I can’t wait to share them with you all. In a few months, the projects I’m shipping out today will start to appear on the newsstands, and on Crafts ‘n Coffee, too. And it’s going to be fun. There are some fabulous projects coming your way soon!

Sincerely,

Vice President & General Manager

Department of Boxes

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Keeping it real: I’m in the business of boxes

1. CereusArt says:

Glad to see that I am not alone. :)

2. All I can say is, now I don’t feel so bad about my box pile. ha ha ha ha ha!!!! (By the way – I just shipped out another one today for your pile!)

3. Violet W. says:

I have worked in a movie distribution center. I loved my job. I loved the unpacking and sorting etc….When I was in school and the teacher got books in she would always let me check off, sort and distribute the books. I don’t know why but I loved it. Crazy huh?

4. Sharon, Good to know your title is VP of boxes :) I always thought it was President of Packing Tape. Because you like to make sure those boxes are sealed good and tight…. LOL!!!!

Very good point, Michelle. Like so many, I multi-task these days. I shall have to revise my title to VP of boxes AND packing tape! Thanks for stopping in today! Sharon

What a job! It would be fun to see all the new ideas that spring from opening the boxes. I know my kids would love to open them but repacking would be a problem. lol Keep up the good work can’t wait to see all that is new.

LOL you are so funny. Thanks for a peak into your busy schedule. It must be cool to open boxes all the time, like Christmas! Each box contains something awesome and cute. Good luck trying to organize it all :)

You are so right, Katiria. That is the best part of the job and it makes all of the mess worthwhile! I love seeing the next big, beautiful idea for STYROFOAM Brand Foam! Thanks for stopping in today! Sharon

7. Debbie Kaste says:

Too funny Sharon! Love this post. Here’s to the love of boxes:)

8. Hey…it’s been a while since i dealt with boxes. Can i come help?

9. eileenhull says:

I hear you Sharon! Have my own version of boxland here in my basement… and garage… etc. Love my job :-)

10. Laurie says:

Thanks for a glimpse inside the glamorous world of a craft blogger!

11. Norma Chapman says:

Sharon,, VP of Boxes… you are so right and also good to see/know what’s behind the scene and reminded me that there’s a lot of time and creative energy applied for each design posted on the web or on printed magazine. Kudos to your effort. PS.. you mean you dont have ” people” that unpack and reship these boxes for you ? Ahh…. Yes.. I am just rubbing it in.