I’ll leave the stockings to Santa, because today we’re stuffing Christmas socks to make easy Christmas Sock Ornaments. Could these DIY Sock Ornaments be any cuter? Kathleen George purchased the Christmas socks at dollar stores and other discount stores, and of course, one pair makes two ornaments. Such a deal! If you want a last-minute, handmade Christmas gift, whip up a pair or two of these Christmas Sock Ornaments.
To make a Christmas Sock Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 3” balls and eggs
- Christmas socks
- Twist tie or wire
- Straight pins
- Thin cord or ribbon (for hangers)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Assorted embellishments: Felt, ribbons, sequins, small beads, mini pompoms, straight pins with decorative heads
- Tools needed: Scissors; chopstick, wood skewer or other pointed tool
To make a Christmas Sock Ornament:
1. Using the chopstick, make a large hole in the center top and bottom of the foam ball or egg. Rotate the chopstick outward so that the hole is wider at the top.
2. Cut the toes off a pair of socks.
3. Insert the ball or egg into the sock through the toe hole. Push in the ball far enough so that you have a ½” tail of sock at the toe. The bottom of the ball should be centered in the opening.
3. Squirt a little glue into the hole at the bottom of the ball and push the cut edges of the sock into the hole, using the tip of the chopstick, or the pointed end of a small pair of scissors. Add a few straight pins to hold it all in place until the glue is thoroughly dry.
4. Pull the sock up over the ball, keeping the sock fabric tight and smooth. Wrap a twist tie around the sock, keeping the sock snug around the ball. Cut off the sock’s ankle, leaving a ½” tail at the top of the ball. Remove the twist tie and tuck the cut edges into the hole at the top of the ball, following Step 3.
5. Decorate your ornament (optional). Add little felt scarves or hats; pin on snowflake sequins and beads; add carrot noses, etc.
6. Tie an 8” length of ribbon or cord into a loop. Pin and glue to the top of the ornament for a hanger.
7. Optional: Make a small, looped bow from a 36” length of 3/8” ribbon. Glue to the top of the ornament.
No stinky socks here – these are pretty sweet! And speaking of sweets, this week I’m giving away a copy of the book Dessert Bouquets. Go see how you might win it!
Happy Christmas crafting.