Make map crafts for a summertime souvenir

Map crafts are a fun way to commemorate a summer vacation, or to celebrate your state, your town, or use some cool scrapbook paper. These decoupaged Vintage Map Balls look like mini, old world globes and you can make them with vintage-style scrapbook papers or an outdated road map. Designer Mary Lynn Maloney uses 3” and 4” balls to make her mini globes, and you can do the same, or go smaller or larger. I’m also sharing a decoupaged Map Christmas Ornament for the holidays.

how to make map crafts with old maps and foam balls

Old World Globes designed by Mary Lynn Maloney

While you’re working on your mini Vintage Map Balls, why not decoupage a bowl to display them in?

To make Vintage Map Balls, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4″ and 3″ balls, and a block or other scrap
  • Map or scrapbook paper with maps
  • Mod Podge, matte finish
  • Textured fibers to match, 2 yds.
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Wood skewers, wax paper, stiff bristle paintbrush, scissors

To make Vintage Map Balls:

1. Cover your work space with wax paper. Tear map paper into pieces.

2. Insert a wood skewer into each ball to use as handle. Working on a fourth of a ball at a time, brush Mod Podge onto the ball, and cover with torn paper pieces. Continue, working on one section at a time, until the make map crafts with vintage maps ball is covered. Brush Mod Podge over the ball to seal the paper. Insert the skewer into the foam block while the ball dries. When dry, brush on another coat of Mod Podge and let dry.

3. Squeeze a thin line of glue around each ball. Adhere fiber to glue, trim ends.

4. Display and enjoy!

If you, a friend or family member has taken a special trip this year, why not make an Around-the-World Map Ornament to commemorate the journey? Make a few of these today, before the holiday rush, and you’ll be so glad you did come December.

how to make an ornament with old maps

Around-the-World Map Ornament by Kathleen George

Have you traveled somewhere this summer, or do you plan to? I’d love to hear about your summer vacation.

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Christmas Crafts, Christmas Ornaments, Craft Tutorial, Deco Spheres, Home Decor, Paper Crafts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Make map crafts for a summertime souvenir

1. Jen says:

I love the vintage map balls! I actually work at a map store and I am obsessed with all things to do with maps!

2. Tracy says:

This would be great for my daughter’s family. Her husband is in the military and I want to do these for where the grandkids were born. It would also be great for the places that they have been stationed.

What a wonderful idea. If you add a hanger (pin and glue a ribbon to the top of the ball), you can make these into ornaments for the grandkids. What a special memento. Thanks for stopping in, Tracy. Sharon

3. Lori says:

These are amazing and will definitely come in handy for my upcoming wedding, we have a travel/journey theme and these will fit right in and be way less expensive than buying a bunch of globes. Thank you so much for posting these!!!

4. What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of map crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/link-love-map-crafts/

Have a great day!

5. Pingback: Crafty Homemade Gifts | SocialCafe Magazine

6. Oh I really like these. My husband would love them he’s in to the map theme. thank you for sharing your wonderful tutorial.

7. Well, this is new and different. I love map crafts and I see them every where but I haven’t seen them like this. Will definitely be pinning and doing within the next few weeks for my new living room!

8. Aren’t these darling? I love both the crisp frosted look of the ornament and the aged look of the map balls. So cute!

9. Shannon says:

I love these. I think that I will have to find a place on the Christmas Tree for these this Winter.

Thank you for stopping in, Shannon. I’m so glad you’re inspired! I hope you’ll share photos of your Map Ornaments on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. I’d love to see them! Sharon