Today we have another 4th of July craft made with bandanas and created by designer Patty Schaffer. Patty’s Patriotic Fringed Bandana Topiaries are a fast way to add patriotic flare to your home, a picnic or other party. If you’re not hosting a bash this year, these would make a great hostess gift, too. To make these Fourth of July topiaries, Patty uses the same technique she shared yesterday in her tutorial for the Patriotic Fringed Bandana Wreath. Tear & tie and you’re on your way!
To make the Patriotic Fringed Bandana Topiaries, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 2-7/8” x 5-7/8 cone & 3-7/8” x 8-7/8” cone
- Bandanas, six in assorted red, white & blue prints (you could use as few as three if you use fewer colors)
- Ribbons & trims in assorted patriotic colors & prints
- Double-stick tape
- Patriotic accents (Patty used table scatter from Michael’s)
- Wooden sandwich picks
- Acrylic craft paint: red, white & blue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; paintbrush
To make the Patriotic Fringed Bandana Topiaries:
1. Use scissors to cut off the sewn hems around each bandana.
2. Start your strip by cutting a small snip about ¾” in from the edge of a bandana. Pull on this strip, creating a torn strip the length of the bandana.
3. Repeat, tearing about ¼ of each bandana into strips.
4. Cut a 2” square from an un-ripped corner of a bandana.
5. Adhere a strip of double-stick tape around the top edge of one cone and remove the paper backing.
6. Place the 2” bandana square over the top of the cone and press the edges down onto the tape to hold the square in place.
7. Tie a bandana strip around the top of the cone and double knot it.
8. Continue tying bandana strips around the foam cone, slightly overlapping each strip to cover the cone. Tie each successive knot just to the right of the previous knot so that the fringe spirals down the side of the cone.
6. Tie on patriotic ribbons or trim for a fun look.
7. When the cone is completely covered, trim the fringe to a length you like.
8. Repeat for the second cone.
9. To make accent picks for the tops of the cones: Paint wooden sandwich picks in red, white or blue to match the accents. Let dry. Use hot glue to sandwich the wooden pick between two matching accents. When hot glue has cooled, insert the accent picks into the tops of the cones.
Here’s one more patriotic topiary I saw and thought was really cute — a Patriotic Ribbon Topiary from Desperate Craftwives. Be sure to visit Blythe and see how she made her topiary centerpiece.