Create beautiful, DIY wedding décor: “Bake” a Birch Bark Centerpiece Cake

Weddings are no longer cookie cutter affairs, and I’m frequently enchanted and inspired by the many sweet and creative ways you can personalize a wedding. Couples who DIY their wedding can find tremendous savings, too. One idea I fell in love with is this woodland-theme wedding ensemble designed by Diane Flowers. Her Birch Bark Centerpiece Cake would be so pretty at a wedding or bridal shower (or really, most any special occasion). Bonus: these are beautiful keepsakes, too.

Make your own wedding decorations

Birch Bark Wedding Decor by Diane Flowers

Strips of birch bark “frost” the cake, and while Diane decorated hers with roses, almost any flower will look beautiful with the birch bark (imagine it with hydrangeas . . .) I’ll share Diane’s tutorial for the Birch Bark Woodland Centerpiece Wedding Cake today and her other designs next week. Diane purchases her birch bark from Spirit of the Woods in western Maine. They collect birch bark and other birch products from the forest floor, and they never harvest living birch trees. They ask that you do the same.

Birch Bark Woodland Centerpiece Wedding Cake by Diane Flowers

To make a Birch Bark Woodland Centerpiece Wedding Cake, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
  • One 10” x 4” cake dummy OR four 10”x 1” discs
  • One 8” x 4” cake dummy OR four 8”x 1” discs
  • One 6” x 4” cake dummy OR four 6”x 1” discs
  • Birch bark sheets, two 16” x 16” pieces
  • Twisted green vines, 48”
  • Roses: five large; five miniature; and four bushes
  • Reindeer Moss, natural and dark green
  • Low-temperature glue gun & glue sticks
  • Tools: Floral shears or knippers; floral pins; scissors; ruler; pencil; wooden skewers (optional — you’ll need the skewers only if you’re using 1” discs of STYROFOAM Brand Foam)

To make a Birch Bark Woodland Centerpiece Wedding Cake:

1. If using 1” discs of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, stack together the same-size discs and secure with low temperature glue and wooden skewers. (Do not yet assemble cake and glue the three layers together.)

2. Examine bark and determine which pieces are most suitable. Measure and mark 16” x 4” strips on bark. Cut strips with scissors.

3. Use your fingertips to separate the layers, creating thinner, more flexible strips of bark. Work carefully and slowly, using extra caution around the knots, to avoid separating the strips into smaller pieces.

4. Adhere birch bark strips the sides of each cake layer.

5. Position the wrapped vines on top of the 6” layer to create a loop on the top and to cover the edges. Secure with floral pins and low temp glue. Leave space between the vines for inserting the roses.

DIY wedding decorating

You can use your favorite flowers and colors to decorate the cake.

6. Trim the stems of the large roses to approximately 2” and insert them between the vines and into the top of the 6” form or discs. Use the picture as a guide for placement and use low temp glue to secure the flower stems.

7. Stack the 6”, 8” layer and 10” layer together. Use low-temp glue to secure them together, if desired. (This step is optional; you might consider leaving the layers unattached for easier storage or transportation.)

8. Attach large rosebud in the front center of the middle 8” layer and the miniature roses on the sides and centers of the two bottom layers. Use the picture as a guide for placement.

9. Using low-temp glue, cover the exposed edges and stems of the roses on all three layers with natural and dark green reindeer moss.

Be sure to stop in again next week for more DIY decorating ideas for weddings and other special days. Have a wonderful, creative weekend, and a happy Mother’s Day to all!

This entry was posted in Bridal Showers, Craft Tutorial, Entertaining, Flower Designs, Garden Art, Home Decor, Weddings and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Create beautiful, DIY wedding décor: “Bake” a Birch Bark Centerpiece Cake

1. Oliver says:

Hi Sharon. My fiancée has absolutely fallen in love with the look of this cake, and perhaps this is a silly question, but is there actually a cake that can be eaten inside this cake? Or this this really for decorative purposes only? Reason I’m asking is that my fiancée wants to include the birchbark look into a real and edible wedding cake, maybe just a few sheets at certain points around the cake which can then be removed before the cake is sliced and eaten. Although, the other problem is that we live in South Africa and it is simply not possible to find any birch bark sheets in any stores in this country, from florists to art stores to stores that produce timber… Would you know whether ‘Spirits of the Woods’ would ship birch tree bark to a very eager customer in South Africa?

Oliver

Thank you, Oliver, and congratulations to you and your fiancee. The Birch Bark Cake is decorative only and does not include anything edible. :-( If you contact Spirits of the Woods, I’m sure they’ll be happy to help you. Good luck! Sharon

2. Kate says:

I love the look of birch bark. It reminds me of my grandmothers house up North. These are beautiful!!

3. These are so cool! You did a great job!

4. These are beautiful – I’m going to show them to my sister in law to be – she’s looking for decor ideas for the wedding.

Thank you, and thank you for stopping in. I really enjoyed your blog, too (I’m a big fan of rhubarb served most any way)! Sharon

5. That looks fantastic! I love the design, My sister is getting marred in October so I might give this a try :)

6. buggalcrafts says:

I’m breathless! Where were u 30 years ago? Ok, where was the internet then too?

I know! I love seeing the many beautiful ways that brides & grooms personalize their day. With technology, weddings can be so creative and customized. I’ll cover part 2 of these birch bark creations tomorrow, so be sure to stop in again. Thanks! Sharon

7. Excellent post. I really liked your blog!

8. Sar Tann says:

This is beautiful. I LOVE all the natural elements on this piece. If I’ve said it once I’ll say it again.. You guys need to write a book. on crafts and another on home decor. Just Stunning..

Btw, I think it would be wonderful if Styrofoam came out with cylinder shaped Styrofoam. So many times I really could have used wide cylinder shapes starting from 3 inches up to 12 inches wide and everything form 6inches to a foot high. Instead I ended up having to glue pieces together. Sometimes this works well, others times it doesn’t. Is there some place that consumers can write to with suggestion? :)

Thank you for your suggestions, Sar. I agree with you about the e-books, and while they’re not on the agenda right now, you never know. Let’s hope it’s something we can do one day. Thank you for the input on the cylinders. I will pass this along to our fabricator. I know they’re sometimes made, but not widely available. Happy Mother’s Day to you! Sharon

• Sar Tann says:

If they make cylinders who do you suppose would have them? I know I would LOVE to make some nature inspired cake stands from them. The problem with stacking Styrofoam disks is the glue used to stack each disk often gets in the way, hence why a solid piece would be AWESOME.. I swear I just love Styrofoam. lol

Thanks, Sar. I’ll see if I can find a source for you. Sharon

Hi Sar, The rods are not widely available at retail, however, I have an online source for you — The Craft Place. You’ll find that The Craft Place offers an extensive collection of shapes and sizes not found in the stores. Let me know how your cake stands turn out. Sharon

• Sara Tanner says:

WOW, Thank you so much!!!!! Upon looking at the rods I think I will also be making some firecrackers for our table at our annual 4th July BBQ. They look as though they will be perfect!

Thanks again. :)

Be sure to share your photos on Facebook, I’d love to see your creations! Thanks! Sharon

9. Geri Johnson says:

Wow! Love the “cake”! So pretty!