It’s Leap Day, which means you get an extra day to craft this year. I’m sticking with yesterday’s theme of repurposed snowmen, and today’s cuties are made from a repurposed knit glove. How cute are they? Enjoy!
(And, don’t forget that we have a giveaway going on for a six-pack of 3” balls so you can craft your own snowman fun.)
To make a Handful of Snowmen, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: five 1” balls
- White stretch glove
- Fiberfil stuffing, small amount
- Terracotta flower pot, small size
- Acrylic paint: white and orange*
- Black half-round beads, 5mm (eyes)
- 1/8” pompoms (buttons)
- Fabric scraps and ribbon scraps (scarves)
- Snowflake sequins
- Black felt for top hat—1 3/8” circle for brim, 1” x 2 ½” rectangle for stovepipe, 1” square for crown
- Knit cap—use the finger tip from a recycled glove
- Earmuffs—1/2” pompoms & 2” chenille stem
- Low-temperature glue gun
- Thick white craft glue
- Tools needed: Paint brush; scissors; toothpicks; knippers
*You can also use an orange permanent marker instead of orange paint
To make a Handful of Snowmen:
1. Paint terracotta pot white; let dry. Paint five toothpicks orange; or color with permanent marker; let dry.
2. Insert a 1” ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam into each finger of glove, and wiggle it to the tip of the finger. (HINT: If the glove will not flex, turn finger inside out, place ball at tip, and then pull finger over ball. Turn glove right side out.)
3. Lightly stuff the glove with fiberfill.
4. Gather the cuff of the glove together and fold the thumb toward the center. Attach glove cuff to the bottom the flower pot using a generous amount of low temp glue. Hold in place till glue sets.
5. Arrange a small amount of stuffing around the glove. Glue snowflake sequins to toothpicks and insert into the fiberfill. Gently pull up the snowman heads so they stretch above the rim of the flower pot.
6. Glue two 5mm, half round beads onto each snowman for eyes.
7. Cut a small strip of fabric or ribbon and wrap around each snowman for a scarf.
8. Using knippers, cut an orange toothpick to ¾”, creating a sharp point. Push the point through the glove into the snowman’s head for a nose. Repeat for the other four.
9. Add hats, referring to photo and the materials list above.
How are you spending your bonus day today?