Craft a handful of snowmen from a glove

It’s Leap Day, which means you get an extra day to craft this year. I’m sticking with yesterday’s theme of repurposed snowmen, and today’s cuties are made from a repurposed knit glove. How cute are they? Enjoy!

how to make snowmen from a glove

You don't need to wear gloves to make these snowmen!

(And, don’t forget that we have a giveaway going on for a six-pack of 3” balls so you can craft your own snowman fun.)

To make a Handful of Snowmen, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM Brand Foam: five 1” balls
  • White stretch glove
  • Fiberfil stuffing, small amount
  • Terracotta flower pot, small size
  • Acrylic paint: white and orange*
  • Black half-round beads, 5mm (eyes)
  • 1/8” pompoms (buttons)
  • Fabric scraps and ribbon scraps (scarves)
  • Snowflake sequins
  • Hats:
  1. Black felt for top hat—1 3/8” circle for brim, 1” x 2 ½” rectangle for stovepipe, 1” square for crown
  2. Knit cap—use the finger tip from a recycled glove
  3. Earmuffs—1/2” pompoms & 2” chenille stem
  • Low-temperature glue gun
  • Thick white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Paint brush; scissors; toothpicks; knippers

*You can also use an orange permanent marker instead of orange paint

DIY snowman craft from a glove

Each snowman has its own personality.

To make a Handful of Snowmen:

1. Paint terracotta pot white; let dry. Paint five toothpicks orange; or color with permanent marker; let dry.

2. Insert a 1” ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam into each finger of glove, and wiggle it to the tip of the finger. (HINT: If the glove will not flex, turn finger inside out, place ball at tip, and then pull finger over ball. Turn glove right side out.)

3. Lightly stuff the glove with fiberfill.

4. Gather the cuff of the glove together and fold the thumb toward the center. Attach glove cuff to the bottom the flower pot using a generous amount of low temp glue. Hold in place till glue sets.

DIY snowman from a glove

Mini earmuffs keep this little guy toasty warm.

5. Arrange a small amount of stuffing around the glove. Glue snowflake sequins to toothpicks and insert into the fiberfill. Gently pull up the snowman heads so they stretch above the rim of the flower pot.

6. Glue two 5mm, half round beads onto each snowman for eyes.

7. Cut a small strip of fabric or ribbon and wrap around each snowman for a scarf.

8. Using knippers, cut an orange toothpick to ¾”, creating a sharp point. Push the point through the glove into the snowman’s head for a nose. Repeat for the other four.

9. Add hats, referring to photo and the materials list above.

How are you spending your bonus day today?

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Kid's Crafts, Recycle Crafts, Wintertime Crafts and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Craft a handful of snowmen from a glove

1. Linda says:

Cute factor of 100 ++++..

2. Eileen Herron says:

Can’t find the gloves anywhere………DRAT!!!!!

Hi Eileen, I saw your note and Facebook and responded there, too. Kathleen found her gloves at Target, and I’ve found similar gloves at Jo-Ann Stores. You could also check out any of the dollar stores in your area, and other discount stores, too. Good luck! I hope you find the gloves and can make these cuties! Sharon

3. budrfly57 says:

Hi Sharon, Is your Facebook page still working. I cannot seem to get to it. It keeps coming up “Sorry, this page isn’t available”. Wanted to post a picture of my family I made.
    Debbie

4. Pingback: Glove Snowmen! | DR. LILL

5. Pingback: A "Handful" Of Snowmen | Handmade Future

6. Cindy says:

Sharon , These are TOO cute ! Going to make these ! Thanks for sharing.:)

7. Cookie17 says:

Sharon these are so cute will have try this,I’m not much crafter but I love them, love look and see pretty things you smart crafters do.Great work,,Cookie

Thanks, Cookie. I think you’ll have fun with this cutie, it’s not hard and you can use a lot of the little scraps and supplies you already have on hand. Happy crafting! Sharon

8. I came across your site via Craft Gossip. I love this snowman project. I am going to have to try this one.

9. Just posted about this cute little snowman family on Craft Gossip!!

10. Violet says:

I love them. You come up with so many great things!

So cute – this is such a clever idea. I just saw white stretch gloves super cheap at JoAnns – wish I would have picked up a pair. Guess this is a good excuse to go back to JoAnns!

Thanks for the tip about Jo-Ann Stores having super-cheap white gloves (and I’m glad we gave you a reason to return to that craft mecca!). Happy shopping!

12. Lisa M says:

Those are so darling. Love them snowmen.
    Adds to the winter Wonderland here. :)

13. fFirst time to read your site, and a perfect day to get the SNOWMAN glove pattern. I live up in northern California just across from Reno, Nev (3 hours), and we got our 2nd winter snow of the season early this morning, and it is to continue thru the day. Thank you for the posting of the Snowman, I can remember years ago making the pot full of puppies/kittens, etc with set of gloves, and we put them in a Tuna Can. Think pattern originally froma Pack of Fun magazine that was a BiBle for us Scout Den Mothers, cub scouts, brownies and bluebird leader when children were young back in the early 60’s. Will subscribe to this site.
    Rae Garner, Magalia, Ca.