Scrapbook paper – what’s not to love? The papers are beautiful, easy to find, and best of all, inexpensive. But, we’re not scrapbooking – instead, I’m sharing three very pretty, paper Valentine’s Day decorations. First up, the super-simple, DIY Valentine’s Day Tabletop Topiaries I made using two very different papers. Then, Rebekah Meier shares her paper LOVE Cubes, a perfect way to decorate your Valentine’s Day mantel. I’ve included another beautiful paper project from Rebekah – a Cupcake Wrapper Wreath. And we just might have a giveaway today, too . . .
Initially, I picked the paper with the vintage valentines for sentimental reasons, but in the end, I think I prefer the crisp contrast found in the white, red and black paper. Make yours with your favorite papers and trims and you can’t go wrong. You could even make these in papers that match your everyday decorating and display them year-round. If you have an hour to spare, you can make the pair (sorry about that rhyme!).
To make the Valentine’s Day Tabletop Topiaries, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 9” x 4” cone
- Scrapbook papers, one for each cone
- Ribbons and other embellishments, such as felt hearts, stickers, buttons
- Glittered floral picks
- Low temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Tools needed: Pencil; scissors; straight pins
To make a Tabletop Topiary Tree:
- Place your foam cone on the edge of your paper. Roll the cone across the paper while tracing the bottom curve with a pencil. Roll cone back to the edge, tracing the curve at the top of the cone. Add 1” to the top curve.
- Cut out your paper. Wrap the paper around the foam cone and glue the seam in back. The extra 1” at the top should form a point.
- Glue ribbon or other trim around the base of the cone. Decorate your tree with ribbon garland, or glue on felt hearts, buttons, or whatever you like. If needed, pin embellishments in place.
- Trim the stem on the glittered Valentine’s Day pick to about 2”; insert into top.
- Display! (I picked up the glass candlestick at a dollar store, and the sparkly red pots are inexpensive terra cotta pots painted with Krylon Glitter Blast.)
Rebekah Meier has such a sweet style, and her LOVE Cubes are one of my favorites (who am I kidding – ALL of her designs are my favorites!).
To make the LOVE Cubes, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Four, 3” cubes
- Scrapbook papers in coordinating colors
- Decorative cardstock
- Wooden letters: L, O, V, E
- Acrylic craft paint: pink and red
- Ultra-fine glitter
- Low temp glue gun
- Paper glue
- Tools needed: Pencil; ruler; scissors; paintbrush; small, shallow container, such as a shoebox lid; straight pins
To make the LOVE Cubes:
1. Paint the wooden letters red and pink, and set aside to dry.
2. For each cube, cut two 3″ x 12″ strips from coordinating scrapbook papers. Wrap strips around cube in opposite directions so the cube is completely covered; crease corners. Remove strips and fold firmly at each crease. Glue strips around cube, spreading glue all the way to paper edges to prevent curling. If needed, use pins to hold papers in place while glue dries.
3. Wrap ribbons around cubes, following the photos or your own design. Spot glue to secure, and if needed, pin in place till glue dries.
4. Cut out several 2″and 2-1/2″ squares from papers and decorative cardstock. These paper squares will “frame” the letters. Referring to photo, glue the paper squares to the foam blocks.
5. Working on one letter at a time, cover top and edges of the letter with glue. Hold the letter over a shallow container and sprinkle with glitter. Shake off excess glitter and return it to the glitter container. Repeat with each letter. Let dry completely.
6. Glue letters to cubes. Add additional embellishments of your choice.
I’ve shown you my Valentine’s Day Tabletop Topiaries, and now I want to see your Valentine’s Day crafts. And I’m sweetening the deal with a giveaway . . . if you’d like to win this yummy box of chocolate truffles and creamy caramels from Dove Chocolates, post your Valentine’s Day crafts on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. I will pick a winner after 10:00 p.m. next Monday, 2/13, and announce the winner on Valentine’s Day, 2/14. I can’t wait to see what you’ve been making!
**PLEASE NOTE: This Giveaway is Closed***
Happy Valentine’s Day crafting!