A Valentine’s Day Craft: Make a Sweetheart Button Wreath

Here’s one of my favorite Valentine’s Day crafts – this sweet, heart-shaped button wreath designed by Patty Schaffer.  Patty designed this for us for our Styrofoam Crafts YouTube Channel, and Candie Cooper recreated it on air. (How lucky am I that I get to work with such fun and talented people?)  The tutorial for the Sweetheart Button Wreath is below, and of course, you can also watch the video.  Speaking of videos, this is the perfect craft to work on if you have some TV time scheduled.

Such a sweet button wreath! CraftsnCoffee.com.

This wreath would be pretty displayed any time of the year.

Here’s a shot of Candie getting ready to tape our button craft tutorial for YouTube.

Love these button projects! Candie Cooper has a tutorial on CraftsnCoffee.com that shows you how to make these.

Candie Cooper in front of the camera.

To make a Sweetheart Button Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 6” x 1” open heart
  • Double-sided tape
  • Pink satin ribbon, 5/8″ x 36″
  • Pink buttons, assorted
  • Straight pins
  • Silver sequins
  • Ribbon
  • Tools needed: Scissors

To make a Sweetheart Button Wreath:

how to make button crafts

If a button has large holes, thread the pin through a sequin first.

1. Cover the sides of the heart.  Adhere double-sided tape along bottom outside edge and inside edge of wreath. Remove protective strip and adhere pink ribbon to tape.
  2. Using a wide variety of sizes and styles, pin buttons onto wreath, completely covering face and exposed edges with a single layer of buttons. If pins slip through holes, thread sequin on first, and then insert pin into button hole; the sequin will hold the pin in place.
  3. Once surface is covered, fill in any gaps by adding a second layer of buttons. If needed, spot glue buttons in place.
  4. Thread ribbon through wreath and knot ends. Hang and enjoy.

If you’d like to see more, be sure to watch the video in which Candie shows you how to make the Sweetheart Button Wreath, and other button crafts, too.

Here’s another fun shot from the set of our video shoot (Candie also demonstrates the Button & Button Flowers Wreath in the video).

There's a YouTube video to make this gorgeous Button Wreath. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Hi there, Candie. Pretty wreath you have there.

Instructions for this project are also on StyrofoamCrafts.com, and the photo below links directly to the project tutorial.

Simply stunning! One of my favorite button wreaths! CraftsnCoffee.com has the tutorial.

Patty Schaffer designed this Button & Button Flowers Wreath. I love the “flowers” she created by layering the colorful, patterned buttons.

I’ve been at the CHA (Craft & Hobby Association) Show the last few days, and I’m on a crazy, crafty overload!  The trade show is a gathering of manufacturers, craft store buyers, designers, craft media, and just about anyone and everyone involved in the craft industry. I’ll be home soon, and I will fill you in on a few of the details.  Stay tuned!

Happy crafting,

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Home Decor, Valentine's Day Craft, Video Tutorial, Wreaths and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A Valentine’s Day Craft: Make a Sweetheart Button Wreath

1. E.C. says:

Reblogged this on Enjoying Creating and commented:
    Another amazing post on ‘Crafts n Coffee Blog’. I think these are great fun and cheerful ideas. :)
    Thanks Crafts n Coffee for sharing interesting and fun crafts. :)

2. They both looks great – what a wonderful idea! I’ve got this linked to my buttons post too today, for DIY ideas using buttons in home décor!

3. Pingback: 40 Valentine's Day Crafts

4. Violet says:

I love them.

5. Thanks so much for linking up at Summit Street’s Handmade Valentine party! :) I’m featuring your wreath tomorrow on my Fave5 on Friday!!!!
    blessings,
    lauren

6. Oh wow! These are simply stunning!! I am so into button art right now and must make one…maybe for Paddy’s Day???? Hmmm….If you have a moment I’d so love it if you’d share this on my linky party. Think my readers would adore this as well!

Thanks, Michelle

7. cupcakes5 says:

I absolutely love these wreaths!!! I have had a thing for buttons since I was a little girl. My grandma had a button box that I used to play with all the time.

8. Birgit says:

Oh Sharon — of course! I could always re-color buttons… Thanks for mentioning the tip from Patty Schaffer — so very much appreciated. :)

9. Birgit says:

Great idea! I wonder if I should start to collect buttons for a Halloween wreath. :)

Hi Birgit. Here’s a quick tip from designer Patty Schaffer — you can spray paint buttons. So, if you can’t find enough orange & black buttons, you can simply paint them. Sharon

10. Jill says:

Looks like lots of fun! Love all those pink buttons.

11. Ellen Beeton says:

Fabulous idea. I need to start collecting buttons!

12. Sharon says:

Hi Lisa, Glad you stopped in and enjoyed the button crafts. Sharon

13. Lisa M says:

What a fun heart. Love the buttons.
    Great ideas. :)

buttons…billions of buttons….. :)
    Can’t wait to hear all the details about CHA.

Thank you,Katiria. It’s been a great show, meeting up with old friends and new (I had breakfast with Candie Cooper, pictured above, yesterday). I’ll be home tomorrow and I’ll share the details later in February. Sharon

15. Denise Royal says:

This is great. I have tons of buttons from my Grandmother and with recently winning some great styrofoam shapes this is a project just for me…

Hi Denise, So glad we’ve inspired you! This would be a beautiful way to create a keepsake from your grandmother’s buttons. I hope you’ll share your button treasures on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. Thank you. Sharon