Awww . . . Who can resist loveable, tuxedo-clad penguins? Today, I have a roundup of penguin crafts that are simply irresistible. First up, if you’re looking for a fun and easy penguin craft for kids, check out Mr. Popper’s Penguins, featured last summer. Today’s tutorial is for our dapper South Pole Penguins, followed by eight more penguin crafts, all of which have step-by-step instructions on StyrofoamCrafts.com. This crazy crowd is sledding, skiing, fishing, and finally napping!
To make a South Pole Penguin, you will need:
(For one penguin)
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 4” egg, 1 ½” ball
- Felt: black, gold
- Fabric: bold black & white print
- Ribbon: silver
- Wiggle eyes, 9mm
- Chenille stem: red
- Paper: sparkly white
- Low temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: ¼” hole punch; buttons; pink felt; red & green paper
- Tools needed: Plastic knife; craft pins; wooden skewer; scissors
(Hints: If you’re crafting with children, use a plastic knife to cut the STYROFOAM Brand Foam, and use thick, white craft glue. Thick, white craft glue is a safe substitute for low temperature glue, though it will take longer to dry and “set.” Children should never be allowed to operate a glue gun or use a sharp knife on their own.)
To make a South Pole Penguin:
- Cut a small slice from wide end of egg, so that egg will stand. Cut small, angled slice from narrow end, forming neck.
- Cut a small slice off the side of the foam ball. Firmly twist the cut edge of the ball against the flat neck, twisting till they fit together snugly. Glue head onto body using low temp glue.
- Using the pattern, cut the jacket from black felt.
- Fit jacket around penguin body, gluing and pinning in place. Overlap the slits along the bottom so that it fits smoothly around the curves. Place a dab of glue on overlapping felt and pin in place till glue dries.
- Using the patterns, cut out wings from black felt, feet and beak from gold felt, and the chest from patterned fabric.
- Glue chest to front with white craft glue.
- Glue on wings, feet, and beak.
- Make small bows from silver ribbon or fabric. Glue to the neck and pin to secure.
Let glue dry; remove pins.
- Glue on wiggle eyes. Optional: punch ¼” circles from pink felt and glueon face for cheeks.
- Twist chenille stem into cane and glue to wing, following photo for placement.
To make a top hat:
- Cut from sparkly white paper: a 1 5/8” circle (brim); a 1 3/16” circle (top of hat); and 3-3/4” x ¾” rectangle.
- Roll the rectangle into a tube, overlapping the ends about ¼”; glue ends together.
- Glue the tube to the brim.
- Run a bead of glue around the top edge of the sides and glue the top of the hat in place. Let dry. Optional: trim the hat with holly cut from red and green paper.
- Glue hat onto penguin.
Below is the rest of our penguin craft collection. Each photo links directly to the project instructions on StyrofoamCrafts.com. Have fun!
Thank you for stopping by today. Have a great weekend!