How about it if I declare this handmade ornament week on Crafts ‘n Coffee, with a different theme each day? Today, because I don’t think you can ever have enough fabric, I’ll share a few ideas for crafting Christmas ornaments with your fabric stash. I’ve thrown in a few ideas for felt, too, because it’s so easy to work with. First up are these Sweet & Super-Sized Felt Candy Ornaments by Debra Quartermain. Debra is a wonderful artist who designs fabrics, writes books, and just launched her new sewing blog Oh Sew Pretty. Just like her designs, Debra is one of the sweetest and most creative souls I know.
To make the Sweet & Super-Sized Felt Candy Ornaments, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 3” disc; 1” x 12” x 12” sheet
- Red sparkle felt, two 9” x 12” sheets
- Green ribbon: 3/8” x 1 yard; ¼” x 1 yard
- White ric rac, one yard
- Red embroidery floss, 24”
- Fabric glue or low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; embroidery needle; ruler; chalk
To make the Sweet & Super-Sized Felt Candy Ornaments:
1. Cut the following pieces from the red felt:
- Two 3” felt circles (use the foam disc as your template)
- One 1” x 10” strip (this will cover the edge of the foam disc)
- Two, 2-1/2” x 4” strips (these are the twisted ends of the “wrapper”)
2. Glue felt circles to foam disc. Wrap and glue the 1” felt strip around edge of disc, overlapping ends; trim any excess felt.
3. Gather a 4” end on one of the 2-1/2” x 4” felt strips; glue gathers together and glue to the foam disc. Repeat with remaining felt strip. Let dry. Tie 3/8” green ribbon around each side.
4. Wrap ric rac around foam disc and glue in place.
5. Knot together the ends of a 12” length of red embroidery floss. Using embroidery needle, poke a hole through the felt and into the foam disc. Insert and glue hanging loop in hole.
1. Wax serrated knife with an old candle or a bar of soap. Cut two, 6″ x 8″ pieces from the foam sheet. Glue pieces together, creating a 2” x 6” x 8” “candy bar”.
2. Center candy bar on sheet of red sparkle felt and wrap the felt around the foam. Overlap ends and glue. Tie ¼” green ribbon tightly around ends.
3. Decorate with ric rac.
4. Tie a loop in a 12” length of embroidery floss. Using embroidery needle, make a hole in one end of candy bar. Insert and glue hanging loop in hole.
Here are more ideas for fashioning felt and fabric ornaments. The step-by-step instructions are available on StyrofoamCrafts.com. Just click on the photos and you’ll link directly to the instructions.
Do you find it hard to pass up a beautiful fabric? Do you have a fabric stash at home in a drawer, a closet, a plastic bin, or . . .?
Happy Christmas Crafting!