I’m sweet on these whimsical Halloween Candy Corn. They remind me of the children’s book Flat Stanley in which Stanley is flattened by a falling bulletin board and embarks on a series of adventures due to his slim profile. These super-sized Candy Corn are only 1” thick and they can perch just about anywhere – a window sill, kitchen counter, fireplace mantel or shelf. Though slim, they stand tall and the larger Candy Corn is 11” tall and the smaller is 7-1/2” tall. They’re finished in scrapbook papers, making it a super-speedy Halloween craft (I made this Candy Corn duo in about an hour).
To make the Halloween Candy Corn, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 12” x 12” x 1” sheet (if this size is not available, use a larger sheet and save the remaining foam for a later use)
- Paper, 8-1/2” x 11” (for patterns)
- Scrapbook paper, one sheet each yellow, orange, brown and white
- Optional: Grosgrain ribbon, 1 yd. x 1”, brown, white or other color of choice (I covered the edges with grosgrain ribbon, but if you don’t mind the bare white foam, you can skip this step)
- Thick, white craft glue or other paper adhesive (I’ve found that Yes! Paste works great when adhering paper to STYROFOAM Brand Foam)
- Tools needed: Serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; marker; ruler; scissors; straight pins
To make the Halloween Candy Corn:
1. Make patterns. For larger, 11” candy corn, mark 3/8” in from each corner on the bottom edge of an 8-1/2” x 11” sheet of paper. At the top, measure and mark 3-3/4” in from each corner. Connect the dots at top and bottom, making a triangle. Curve each bottom corner and the top. Cut out pattern. Re-size pattern for smaller candy corn, which is 5-1/2” wide at the bottom and stands 7-1/2” tall.
2. Pin pattern to foam sheet. Using ruler and sharp pencil, draw around pattern, scoring foam. Wax knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Use knife to score straight lines on either side of candy corn. Position foam sheet so that the score line is along the edge of a table. Press down, breaking foam cleanly along the scored line. Using knife, round the corners. Sand all sides and rough edges with a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
3. Draw lines on pattern for white, orange and yellow (or brown) papers. For the yellow layer, mark each side 3” up from bottom of pattern. Draw a curved line to connect the dots. For the white layer, mark each side 2-3/4” down from the top. Draw a curved line to connect the dots. The middle section will be for the orange paper. Cut pattern apart. Cut layers from scrapbook papers.
4. Glue papers to foam candy corn.
5. If covering the edges, pin and glue 1” wide grosgrain ribbon around edges of candy corn.
And that’s it!