I was indecisive today, so we have tutorials for not one, not two, but three fall wreaths. All three fall wreaths are so pretty and so easy, that I couldn’t stop at one or two. This way, you can choose your favorite autumn wreath made with yarn, felt or paper. If by some chance you want even more ideas for fall wreaths, I’ve included photos of several more that you’ll find on www.styrofoamcrafts.com. Yep, we have something for everyone today.
To make the Shimmery, Paper-Punch Fall Leaf Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Wreath: 12” half round
- Acrylic craft paint, brown
- Lightweight paper: metallic and warm, natural hues*
- Wired ribbon, 1-3/8” metallic
- Thick white craft glue or low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
- Tools: Paintbrush; jumbo textured leaf paper punch**; straight pins
*Note: If you cannot find the colors you’d like, sponge paint brown craft paper in shades of brown, red oxide, ochre, gold, bronze and copper.
**If you would prefer to use a pattern and cut out your leaves manually, please send me a note via “Contact Us” above. I would be happy to e-mail a pattern to you.
To make the Shimmery Paper-Punch Fall Leaf Wreath:
1. Paint the wreath brown; let dry.
2. Punch out 100 – 125 leaves in assorted naturally hued and metallic papers.
3. Glue leaves onto the wreath, applying glue to the back of leaves near the stem end. Overlap the leaves as you go, slipping the stem ends of new leaves under leaves already glued on. If needed, pin in place till glue dries. Mix colors as you go for a random, natural effect. Continue till wreath is covered.
4. To curl leaves, carefully draw straight edge of scissors over select leaves.
5. Make a small loop from ribbon and glue and pin to the top back of the wreath for hanging.
6. Optional: Tie a bow from wired ribbon and glue to center bottom of wreath.
To make the Shades of Fall Yarn Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Wreath, 12” half round
- Variegated yarn, 1 skein
- Felt squares: white, gold, rust, deep red, and green
- Thread, coordinating colors
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools: Scissors; straight pins; straight pins with gold heads
To make the Shades of Fall Yarn Wreath:
1. Wind skein of yarn into a ball.
2. Glue and pin one end of yarn to back of wreath. Wrap yarn around wreath, passing yarn ball through the center. If you are using a fine yarn, stop after wrapping about 1” and wrap again, covering any bare spots. Wrap wreath till completely covered, and then cut and glue end to back of wreath.
3. Cut flowers and leaves from felt. Pin & glue in bottom center of wreath.
4. Form a loop from a ½” x 6” length of felt. Pin and glue to back of wreath for hanger.
To make the Felt Penny Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Wreath, 10” x 1” with flat front
- Pre-made felt pennies*, 20
- Acrylic craft paint, black
- Felt: Light green (leaves); black (hanger)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools: Paintbrush; scissors; straight pins
(*Note: We purchased felt pennies on http://www.etsy.com. If you’d like to learn how to make your own, you can follow this tutorial.)
To make the Felt Penny Wreath:
1. Paint the wreath black; let dry. Arrange and glue felt pennies to the wreath, overlapping to cover the wreath form.
2. Cut out 18 – 20 leaves from light green felt. Glue to inside and outside edges, tucking the ends of leaves under the felt pennies.
3. Form a hanging loop from a 1” x 8” strip of black felt. Pin and glue to the back of the wreath. Let dry.
Still looking for a few ideas for your front door? Check out these stunning wreaths featured on www.styrofoamcrafts.com. Each wreath links to the project instructions, so you can recreate these looks at home, too.