Fall Wreath Round Up and Three Autumn Wreath Tutorials

How to make a fall wreath

Change up the papers to change the look and make it yours.

I was indecisive today, so we have tutorials for not one, not two, but three fall wreaths. All three fall wreaths are so pretty and so easy, that I couldn’t stop at one or two. This way, you can choose your favorite autumn wreath made with yarn, felt or paper. If by some chance you want even more ideas for fall wreaths, I’ve included photos of several more that you’ll find on www.styrofoamcrafts.com. Yep, we have something for everyone today.

Paper Punch Fall Leaf Wreath

Shimmery, Paper Punch Fall Leaf Wreath

To make the Shimmery, Paper-Punch Fall Leaf Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Wreath: 12” half round
  • Acrylic craft paint, brown
  • Lightweight paper: metallic and warm, natural hues*
  • Wired ribbon, 1-3/8” metallic
  • Thick white craft glue or low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
  • Tools: Paintbrush; jumbo textured leaf paper punch**; straight pins

*Note: If you cannot find the colors you’d like, sponge paint brown craft paper in shades of brown, red oxide, ochre, gold, bronze and copper.

**If you would prefer to use a pattern and cut out your leaves manually, please send me a note via “Contact Us” above.  I would be happy to e-mail a pattern to you.

To make the Shimmery Paper-Punch Fall Leaf Wreath:

1. Paint the wreath brown; let dry.

2. Punch out 100 – 125 leaves in assorted naturally hued and metallic papers.

3. Glue leaves onto the wreath, applying glue to the back of leaves near the stem end. Overlap the leaves as you go, slipping the stem ends of new leaves under leaves already glued on. If needed, pin in place till glue dries. Mix colors as you go for a random, natural effect. Continue till wreath is covered.

4. To curl leaves, carefully draw straight edge of scissors over select leaves.

5. Make a small loop from ribbon and glue and pin to the top back of the wreath for hanging.

6. Optional: Tie a bow from wired ribbon and glue to center bottom of wreath.

This wreath is so yummy for fall! Gorgeous colors and pretty felt flowers.

Make this yummy, Shades of Fall Yarn Wreath for a cozy welcome to your home.

To make the Shades of Fall Yarn Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Wreath, 12” half round
  • Variegated yarn, 1 skein
  • Felt squares: white, gold, rust, deep red, and green
  • Thread, coordinating colors
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools: Scissors; straight pins; straight pins with gold heads

To make the Shades of Fall Yarn Wreath:

1. Wind skein of yarn into a ball.

2. Glue and pin one end of yarn to back of wreath. Wrap yarn around wreath, passing yarn ball through the center. If you are using a fine yarn, stop after wrapping about 1” and wrap again, covering any bare spots. Wrap wreath till completely covered, and then cut and glue end to back of wreath.

3. Cut flowers and leaves from felt. Pin & glue in bottom center of wreath.

4. Form a loop from a ½” x 6” length of felt. Pin and glue to back of wreath for hanger.

Felt Penny Wreath

Felt Penny Wreath

To make the Felt Penny Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Wreath, 10” x 1” with flat front
  • Pre-made felt pennies*, 20
  • Acrylic craft paint, black
  • Felt: Light green (leaves); black (hanger)
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools: Paintbrush; scissors; straight pins

(*Note: We purchased felt pennies on http://www.etsy.com. If you’d like to learn how to make your own, you can follow this tutorial.)

To make the Felt Penny Wreath:

1. Paint the wreath black; let dry. Arrange and glue felt pennies to the wreath, overlapping to cover the wreath form.

2. Cut out 18 – 20 leaves from light green felt. Glue to inside and outside edges, tucking the ends of leaves under the felt pennies.

3. Form a hanging loop from a 1” x 8” strip of black felt. Pin and glue to the back of the wreath. Let dry.

Still looking for a few ideas for your front door? Check out these stunning wreaths featured on www.styrofoamcrafts.com. Each wreath links to the project instructions, so you can recreate these looks at home, too.

Tutorial: fall naturals wreath

Feather & Mushroom Wreath

How to make a ribbon wreath

Halloween Ribbon Wreath

Fall Floral wreath

Copper Foil & Tacks Autumn Wreath

Make a fall wreath

Sammy the Scarecrow Wreath

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Fall Crafts, Home Decor, Paper Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Fall Wreath Round Up and Three Autumn Wreath Tutorials

1. Diane says:

Could you post directions to make the Halloween Ribbon Wreath. I love it and can’t find any directions. Thank you!

2. Peggy says:

Just stopping by to let you know I featured this project on this round-up
    http://diycraftyprojects.com/2012/11/50-yes-fifty-fall-wreath-ideas-and-inspiration.html :)

Feel free to grab a featured button from my side bar.

3. Hi … I know it’s been almost a year since the original question was asked, but did you ever find out the brand of yarn and name of color for the Shades of Fall wreath. I have looked and looked and can only find a yarn with green in it. I love the color yours is made in. Thank you.

Hi Nancy, Thank you so much for stopping in. I’m checking in with the designer, and she’s going to see if she can track down the brand. Please sit tight. Sharon

Hi Nancy, With many, many thanks to the designer Kathleen George, I have the name and number for the yarn: Universal Yarns–Classic Shades–color #706. Kathleen actually went back the store where she bought it (Webs Yarn) and had the super helpful sales ladies help her figure it out. Webs Yarn does a lot of online and phone orders, so if you cannot find the yarn locally, you can contact them at http://www.yarn.com. Thank you for your patience, Nancy.

4. Sar Tann says:

These are Gorgeous! The leaf wreath is very nice. I’m wondering how it would work with preserved leaves. You know the kind you preserve by adding glycerin to water…. The copper foil technique is very interesting as well and the effect is really cool. The yarn wreath, the colors blend beautifully and are so warm and inviting. I think my favorite is the ribbon wreath. The more I look at it it reminds me of a jesters collar. Perfect for Halloween I think. Just LOVE that one! Keep em coming. ::D

5. Mary Lou Tomecek Baker says:

Hi Sharon,

OMG Sharon your Shades of Fall Wreath is Beautiful! I have to make one for my niece, her BD was Nov 1st and this is what I would love to make for her. Can you please please share with me the name brand of the yarn and name of color. Can get it at JoAnn’s fabric store? or order online. It is just beautiful! Thank you in advance. Thank you very much for sharing. this is my email address mltbkr@comcast.net

Hi Mary Lou, I’m so glad you’re inspired! Thank you! Kathleen George created the wreath and she is unsure which yarn she used, however, she is going to research it for you. It might take us a few days but we’ll let you know what we find out. In the meantime, if you find a variegated yarn you love, feel free to substitute — I’m sure it will be beautiful!

6. Hi! I featured your wreath and a few others on my post today. Thought you might like to see what I did. =D http://holidaygiftsandmore.blogspot.com/2011/10/autumn-wreath-inspiration.html

~ Tina

7. Pingback: Saturday Tutorials – 9/17/11 – Blooming Sisters

8. Wonderful! I would love to make a fall wreath. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thank you, Tonia. I hope we inspire you to create your fall wreath — if you do make one, I’d love to have you share a photo on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. I just visited your blog, too, and it’s great! I love your daughter’s bedroom re-do, so thank you for the inspiration, too. Sharon

9. wow! so many great wreath ideas!!! you could almost make a new wreath for each week of the fall – REALLY change it up around the house!
    great ideas – thanks for sharing, sharon! ;-)