Confess – do you, or someone you know, have an overflowing T-shirt drawer? You know, those favorite T’s that you never wear but can’t stand to part with? Well, in about 20 minutes, you can get them out of your drawer and display them on your wall. Create a T-shirt gallery of favorite vacations, concerts, sports teams, or what have you. T-Shirt Wall Art – it will fit you to a “T”.

repurposed-t-shirt-wall-art

Make a T-Shirt Gallery — it’s super fast & super cheap.

To make the T-Shirt Wall Art you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: One, 12″ x 36″ x 1″ sheet OR three 12″ x 12″ x 1″ squares
  • Disc: 12″ x 1″
  • Four junior T-shirts, size large (this is the smallest size that easily fits the foam sheet; larger sizes will work great)
  • Thick, white craft glue OR low-temp glue gun & glue sticks
  • Tools: Straight pins; scissors; sawtooth picture hangers OR poster putty
  • Optional: If using 12″ x 36″ x 1″ sheets, additional supplies include ruler; pencil; serrated knife & old candle OR dental floss
t-shirt-wall-art-tutorial

Add a round disc to change it up a bit.

To Make the T-Shirt Wall Art:

1. If using 12” x 12” x 1” foam squares, skip to Step #2. If using a 12” x 36” x 1” sheet, measure and mark three, 12” x 12” squares, scoring cutting line with sharp pencil. Wax serrated knife with soap and cut along the scored lines. Or, use dental floss: stand the sheet on its edge, and hold a 24″ length of dental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand at the bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw the dental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.

2. Insert 12″ x 12″ foam square into t-shirt. Carefully position foam square so that t-shirt design is centered and seams are not in front. Test “fit” of t-shirt: stretch t-shirt fabric over edges, being sure that sleeves and neckline can be stretched over the sides to the back.

3. Carefully trim away back side of t-shirt and excess fabric, leaving several inches all around to cover edges.

4. Wrap foam square in t-shirt fabric, neatly folding fabric at the corners. Pin and glue fabric to reverse side.

5. Following Steps 2 & 3 above, cover foam disc with t-shirt.

6. Glue sawtooth picture hanger to back. For additional hold, insert and glue two straight pins through holes in sawtooth picture hanger. Or, attach foam squares to wall with poster putty.

7. Let dry before hanging.

And that’s it! If you’d like more DIY décor ideas, visit http://www.styrofoamcrafts.com and download our free Great Décor in a Flash booklets. The photo below will take you there.

Make your own wall art booklets

Download these three, idea-packed home decor booklets.

Did you notice our new look for fall? How do you like it? If you’d like instructions for our Falling Leaves Wall Art, click on the photo below.

Make your own wall art

Falling Leaves Wall Art

What do you think – do you like our new fall banner?

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Great Decor in a Flash -- Without a Lot of Cash, Home Decor, Recycle Crafts, Wall Art and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Repurpose Old T-Shirts and Wear them on Your Wall Instead: Super-Fast T-Shirt Wall Art Tutorial

1. Mags says:

What a great idea & tutorial — we have “misprints” that have been piling up that we can’t sell “as is”, now I know exactly what to do with them!!

2. Amy Kaser says:

Such an awesome idea! Kudos to you!
    But also…….I love the paint color!!! Any chance you know the brand and color?

Thank you, Amy. I know it was a Sherwin Williams paint, but I don’t have record of the color. Computer screens are so different, that what you see may not be true to color, too. I know how hard it can be to pick out paint colors — good luck! Sharon

• Amy Kaser says:

Thank you, that at least narrows it down! I can’t wait to do the project, I have a lot of awesome tees that are too big.

3. I absolutley love your idea and your tutorial. We are redecorating our game room into a sports theme, and I want to use this idea to showcase our boys’ old jerseys. I’ve also featured this post on my blog this week, so I hope you’ll check it out: http://thedomesticatedprincess.blogspot.com/2012/11/from-t-shirt-to-treasure-part-3.html

4. Pingback: My Inspiration: Pinterest faves « Little Stylist

5. Pingback: Main Ingredient Monday- T-Shirts

6. Yolanda says:

All are great ideas, congrat!

7. Birgit says:

That is such a great idea! A couple of years ago I bought several T-shirts in the USA which are a bit out of style these days. Yet I certainly don’t want to part with them — the designs are way too lovely and the T-shirts are souvenirs which remind me of great days. I think I will turn some of them into wall art. Thanks for the inspiration!

8. Ann says:

I’m a little confused. You listed STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: One, 12″ x 36″ x 1″ sheet or three 12″ x 12″ x 1″ squares AND Disc: 12″ x 1″. Is the disc one of the 12″ X 12″ X 1″ squares or is this something different? Please explain. I’d love to do this for both my home and in the conference room of the university department I work for using our university t-shirts.

• Ann says:

Never mind…I figured it out. Duh…

Hi Ann, Thanks for stopping in! The design shown includes four pieces of T-shirt wall art and uses three, 12″ x 12″ x 1″ square sheets of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, and one round disc of STYROFOAM Brand Foam that measures 12″ across. The list of materials suggests that if you can’t find the 12″ x 12″ x 1″ squares, you can cut a 12″ x 36″ x 1″ sheet into three 12″ squares. Of course, you can skip the disc and use all squares, or for that matter, use all discs. Feel free to mix it up! I think that’s such a great idea to use your university t-shirts! I hope you’ll share your artwork when you’re done on our Facebook page. Happy crafting! Sharon

9. Pam says:

I have lots of old T-shirts I don’t know what to do with. Wall art is a great idea. Maybe some of my T-shirts will see the light of day again. Thanks for posting.

10. rosa parks says:

thanks a lot this is a super Idea

Thank you for the feature, Jen Ell. It’s really so super simple to make custom wall art this way, and it’s a great way to showcase those favorite t’s. Sharon

11. jennidaizy says:

Great idea, this would look fantastic in my sons roon. He has so many skater and concert tees that have a hole or two that this would be perfect for. thanks for the inspiration! Jenni

Thanks, Jenni. It’s super easy, and better yet that you don’t have to nail a hole in the wall to hang them! I’d love to see your wall art when you’re finished — please post a photo on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. Sharon

12. Eileen Hull says:

Yes, love the fall banner! :-)