With the back-to-school rush, do you need help organizing at home? Our super-cute fabric bulletin boards help keep track of important papers, invitations, reminders, and other ephemera. For starters, who can resist our Cupcake Bulletin Board and Cupcake Pencil Holder? Maybe these will even help make organizing a little more fun . . .?? (Read on to see how you could win these for your home!) **NOTE: This Giveaway is Closed.**
Our two trendy Handbag Memo Boards are also made with fabric and foam, and you’ll find instructions on StyrofoamCrafts.com . The photos below link to the project instructions. (To keep it fair, we’ll have a few more masculine options on Friday.)
To make the Cupcake Bulletin Board you’ll need:
- STYRFOAM Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 36” sheet
- Fabric: 1/2 yd.
- Extra loft batting, ½ yd.
- Grosgrain ribbon: two rolls ¼”; one roll 7/8”
- Tools: Ruler; sharp pencil; serrated knife and bar of soap OR dental floss; scissors; straight pins; Low temp glue gun & glue sticks
To make the Cupcake Bulletin Board:
1. Measure and mark a 12″ x 24″ rectangle on foam sheet, scoring cutting line with sharp pencil. Wax serrated knife with soap and cut along the scored lines. Or, use dental floss: stand the sheet on its edge, and hold a 24″ length of dental floss along the scored line, positioning one hand at the bottom of the board and the other at the top; draw the dental floss down through the foam sheet along the scored line.
2. Cut a 14” x 26” piece of batting. Place foam sheet in center of batting, and wrap batting to sides; glue in place. Trim excess batting.
3. Cut a 16” x 28” piece of fabric; place face down on table. Center foam sheet, batting face down, on fabric. Starting on one long edge, fold fabric around board and onto the back side. Evenly pin fabric in place. Repeat with other long edge.
4. Flip board over to be sure fabric is straight; adjust if needed. Glue fabric to reverse side.
5. Repeat with two short sides, folding and pinning corners so they are neat and straight. Glue fabric to reverse side.
6. Cut two 20” lengths and two 12″ lengths of ¼” ribbon. To make the lattice pattern, pin on ribbons on the diagonal, creating four evenly spaced rows. Repeat, making four diagonal rows in the opposite direction. Pin and glue the ribbon ends to the sides and back of bulletin board.
7. Cut 16” length of 7/8” ribbon; pin and glue to back of bulletin board for hanging. Optional: Add bow to center of hanger.
8. Optional: Finish by gluing an 11-1/2” x 23-1/2” piece of fabric to the back of the bulletin board.
To make the Cupcake Pencil Holder you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 5” x 18” cone; 6” and 1-1/2” balls
- Lightweight, one-step spackling
- Paper crimper (optional)
- Acrylic paint, red gloss
- Craft wire, 2” length
- ¾” grommets, eight or more
- Tools: Large serrated kitchen knife and bar of soap; ruler; pencil; scissors; low temp glue gun and glue sticks; icing spatula or table knife; white craft glue
To make the Cupcake Pencil Holder:
1. Wax knife blade with soap. Mark 5” up from bottom of cone and cut cone in half. The 5” base will be the cupcake. Save the remaining 13” tall cone for a future project.
2. Cut small slice from bottom of 6” ball. Glue cut side of foam ball to the wide end of the 5” base, creating the cupcake shape.
3. Cut two, 5” x 12” strips of cardstock. Optional: Crimp paper strips to resemble cupcake liners. Wrap paper strips around base of cupcake, trimming to fit as you go. Glue in place.
4. Paint 1-1/2” ball red; let dry and paint again, if needed. When dry, insert a short craft wire into the top for a stem.
5. Following instructions on container, mix 2-3 cups of spackling until it’s smooth and spreads easily. Generously frost the ball like a cupcake. Carefully extend icing over edges of paper cupcake liner to resemble the “real thing.” Gently press red cherry into icing at top of cupcake. Let dry.
6. Using sharp pencil, press through the icing and into the foam ball; rotate pencil gently but firmly till hole is large enough for pencil to easily slide in and out. Glue grommet over the hole with white craft glue.
I love this set, and I am going to share the love by giving it away. How can you win the Cupcake Bulletin Board and Cupcake Pencil Holder? Refer a friend – or two or three, to our Crafts ‘n Coffee Facebook page, and be sure they tell us that you sent them. For every friend you refer, you’ll win a chance in our drawing. If we draw your name, you’ll win the bulletin board and pencil holder, and we’ll send your friend one of our craft aprons (with handy, extra-large pockets!).
***NOTE: This Giveaway is Closed.***
The winner of last week’s prize, a Solar System kit and Apple Barrel Paints from Plaid, is Donna Hart Brown. She referred her friend Cherry Fore Hart, and Cherry will get one of our aprons. Congratulations, ladies.
Don’t forget, on Friday we’ll have a few more ideas for DIY bulletin boards. In the meantime, do you have any organizational tips you’d like to share? Please leave a comment below and tell us how you keep things organized at home or at work.