Fast & Fabulous DIY Wall Art Ideas

Pssst – do we have cheap & easy wall art for you today! (But your secret is safe with us.) Whatever your style, we’re showing you different ways to mix and match your favorite 12” x 12” scrapbook papers to make paper wall art that is simply stunning. No one will guess how little time and money you spent on your DIY wall art. (The photos link to the step-by-step directions.)

how to make scrapbook paper wall art

Vibrant Bistro Wall Art

The eye popping wall art above is bold and bright, and features three 12” x 12” scrapbook papers on each 1” x 12” x 36” sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Below, we have the exact same set up but we’ve changed out the papers for a more mellow look, and we’ve used nine, 1” x 12” x 12” squares of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Same idea, two very different looks! Both super fast to make.

scrapbook paper wall art

Vintage Bistro Wall Art

Here’s another presto-change-o look. The black and white scrapbook papers have vivid, contemporary designs that really “pop.”

scrapbook paper wall art

Contempo Wall Art

If you prefer warmer hues, take a look at our decorating scheme below.

scrapbook paper wall art

Tuscan Wall Art

If you’re just looking to change up a corner or other small space in your home, you can make smaller scale wall art. Below, we’ve used 1” x 12” x 12” squares of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, and grouped them in pairs on shelving. Both of these are super-simple to make, and the look you choose is up to you.

Easy paper wall art

Brown & Green Wall Art

Make paper wall art

Maroon & Green Wall Art

You can make any of these wall art ideas for your home for less than $50 and in just a few hours – I know, because I made all of these myself. Each photo links to the step-by-step instructions, so you can follow along. HINT: We’ve found that Yes! Paste works great to adhere the paper to the foam with minimal moisture and wrinkling.

Which look do you like? Will you try this with your favorite scrapbook papers?

This entry was posted in Great Decor in a Flash -- Without a Lot of Cash, Home Decor, Paper Crafts, Wall Art and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

76 Responses to Fast & Fabulous DIY Wall Art Ideas

1. Carole says:

I love your furniture ; the red chairs and black table! Did you buy those at a local department store? Your paintings match great!!! =]

Thanks so much, Carole. I’m sorry, but I can’t remember where we purchased the furniture. I believe we found it online, and it’s possible that it’s from Target. You might want to go there and search. Thanks, again. Sharon

2. I love the top photo of the Vibrant Bistro trio. I am confused. (Not an uncommon occurrence. :o)) The ribbon that is mentioned – Does it go around the outside/frame, or is it to place between the three pieces of paper on the front of each piece? Thanks! Annette

Hi Annette, Thanks so much for stopping in today. The 1″ ribbon goes around the outside edges of each sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. It fits perfectly! You can pin and glue the ribbon in place along each edge; once the glue dries, you can remove the pins. Hope that helps. Sharon (P.S. I loved reading about your travel adventures on the blog. What an exciting life you have!)

• Sharon,
      Thank you for your reply! Does the photo example have ribbon in-between the scrapbook paper? Or is it left ” unribbonless”.
      (PS Thank you for your sweet comment about my blog. I am a newbie, and woud appreciate any feedback as to how to make my site look as “professional” as yours. I hope that you continue to keep reading. :o) )

Hi Annette, No, there’s no ribbon in-between the papers. The ribbon is used just to cover the edges of the sheets of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Sharon

3. Sandi says:

What’s the best way to hang these??

Hi Sandi, You can use poster putty, adhesive strips (3M makes them), or use a sawtooth hanger. If you’re using a sawtooth hanger, dip your nails in glue, and then insert them through the sawtooth hanger and into the back of your wall art. Thanks for stopping in. Sharon

4. Gerry says:

I love the last two. Im makeing a big sewing room and that wall color is what I have picked out already, so I think Im going to do a couple of those. Gerry

5. Nina Lower says:

Love it!! I have been doing napkin art atm on canvas’s so this looks like another cool idea. But where are the steps?? :)

Hi Nina, Thanks for stopping in! Each photo links to the tutorial, so just click and you’ll be whisked away to the instructions. Have fun, and I hope you’ll share your wall art when you’re finished. I’d love to see it! Sharon

6. Christina says:

Where do you buy the STYROFOAM? I can’t seem to find it in 12×12 squares.

Hi Christina, Thanks so much for stopping in. If you cannot find the 12″ x 12″ x 1″ squares, you can cut the 12″ x 36″ x 1″ sheet into the three squares you need. You can use a serrated knife to cut the foam sheet, or, a trick I’ve used is to slice the sheet with dental floss — this really works! Here’s a link to the cutting tips. Good luck, and please let me know how it turns out. Sharon

7. Britni Roberts says:

In the vibrant bistro wall art, how did you get the scrapbook pages to blend together so well and look aged? Thanks!

Hi Britni, Thanks so much for stopping in. The papers all coordinate because they came from the same pad of paper and were designed to be used together. They were already aged, so I didn’t have to do anything more than tear them out of the pad and glue them to the STYROFOAM Brand Foam. How easy is that!? Sharon

8. Lauren says:

I love this idea! I’ve been searching for cheap, cute, nail-free decorations I can make to spice up my dorm room in the fall. The plain beige walls are just blah, and this is beyond perfect. Do you know if I can find the styrofoam boards at a craft store like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby? I know they have the paper there. I can’t wait to try this one out. Dorothy’s idea of making a headboard out of this is awesome. Do you just pick out a ribbon that matches the paper, to trim the borders with?

Hi Lauren, Yes, you’ll find that Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann Stores & Michaels all carry sheets of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. You’re correct about the ribbon — simply pick out a 1″ wide ribbon to pin and glue around the edges. Have fun! Sharon

9. Heather says:

I like the tuscan wall art as well- I’ve been searching all morning for the paper. I figured out that the paper is Basic Grey from two different collections- Dasher & Fruitcake. Both are retired but I found the paper on ebay. Hope that helps :-)

10. Dorothy Robison Cates says:

Thanks for this… I had already purchased the scrapbook paper and was about to make this project with wood!! That would make the project cost much more, and be harder to hang. The styrofoam just simplified my life! I plan to use this idea in my spare bedroom that my granddaughters use… its going to be their headboard!! Thanks for the great pictures!

Glad we could help, Dorothy. This technique doesn’t even require holes in the wall — you can hang your wall art with wall putty. Doesn’t get much better than that! Thanks for stopping in. Sharon

11. Nancy Carr says:

The Tuscan Wall is wonderful for me. Has anyone found a source for the paper? Thank you soooo much.

Hi Nancy, I have looked & looked and cannot find the original source! I am so sorry! Sharon

• Nancy Carr says:

I think I have found it and waiting for a reply from where I feel the source is. I will get back to you as soon as I know for sure. Nancy

Wonderful news, Nancy. I’d love to know who made the papers and the name of the line. Thank you! Sharon

• Nancy Carr says:

I checked the site again and feel this is the paper source for the Tuscan wall art. I still have not heard from the seller, and I know many of us want this paper, so here is where I found it. It is on etsy.com and the seller is pinkpearlstudio. The paper name is Speckled Eggs Shades of Blue. I am tenacious and want that paper for the project. Hope this is it. Someone please post so we know for sure. Thank you.

Hi Nancy, The Speckled Eggs Shades of Blue papers are beautiful! I’m sure they’ll be very pretty hanging on the wall. It’s not the same as the Tuscan Wall Art, however. The Tuscan Wall Art was not a digital paper; it was purchased in a paper pack. Choose papers you love, and you can’t go wrong! Sharon

• Heather says:

Hi Nancy, I did find the source of the paper from the Tuscan wall art- Basic Grey, from two different collections- Dasher & Fruitcake.

12. Michelle says:

I live in an apartment and the walls and ceiling are the same color. The furniture is a microfiber chocalate brown ….I would like some in expensive ideas to break up this overly boring paint on my walls…i need some ideas asap!!!

13. Sharon says:

Brett – I am so sorry, but I cannot track down the Tuscan papers. I’ve sorted thru my paper stash and searched online, too, but cannot locate the original source for the papers. I am so sorry to disappoint you! I hope you’re able to find something similar that you love so that you can great wall art for your home. Sharon

14. Brett says:

I Love the tuscan look! Where did you get the scrapbook papers and foam??

Thanks, Brett. Unfortunately, I can’t get to my paper stash till this weekend, and I’ll check on the manufacturer then, o.k.? However, I can tell you that our 1″ thick sheets of STYROFOAM Brand Foam are sold in Michaels, Jo-Ann Stores and Hobby Lobby. I’ll get back to you on the paper, and thanks again for stopping in. Sharon

15. Janey says:

Thanks for the inspiration! I recently bought some 12×12 black and white assorted patterned papers in a kit at JoAnn Fabric, and was wondering if I could do something for the wall with them. And now that I saw your page, I know what I’m going to do! Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!

16. Ashley says:

Great idea! What did you use to hang the styrofoam boards on the wall?

Hi Ashley, You can use poster putty to hang the wall art, which means NO holes in the wall. You could also use the 3M Command Strips. If you don’t mind holes in the wall, you can also add a sawtooth hanger to the back of the wall art, using a dab of glue when you insert the small nails into the foam board. Good luck! Sharon

17. Samantha says:

This may be a silly question…but are your papers “aged” looking or did you do something to make them look that way? I’m referring to the Tuscan set specifically. Thank you for your help!

18. Lindy says:

Oh my, these are fabulous!!!!! So creative and Pretty!

19. Anne-Marie says:

Such a great idea to quickly decorate a wall! I’m going to try painting sheets of paper and then affix them to the styrofoam! I have a little room in the basement for my gardening items and this will be a lovely way to liven up that area! Thanks for sharing!.

20. Megan says:

This is so awesome, what a great Idea!! Thank you for inspiring me on decorating my bedroom!!

21. Brittini says:

Ive been looking for the Luxe paper for almost and hour with no luck. Can someone help me find it please? I GOTTA HAVE IT!!!!!! lol Thank you =)

Unfortunately, Luxe was a victim of the economic downturn and is no longer in business. You can still find come of their papers on line, however. Good luck, and please let me know if you have any other questions. Sharon

22. Emily says:

I’ve never used the styrofoam boards before. Did you have to cover the sides as well? These look great!

Thank you! Yes, you do cover the edges and there are several ways to do this. One way is to pin and glue a 1″ wide grograin ribbon all the way around the foam square. Another way is to paint the edges with an acrylic craft paint. If you’re going to paint the edges, you’ll want to do this first, before you add your paper to the front, and be sure the paint is dry before you continue. For additional assistance, be sure to watch our wall art video on http://www.styrofoamcrafts.com. I hope you’ll share your wall on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts! Sharon

23. Brittini says:

I LOVE this!!!! What paper packs did you use for the 3rd and 4th one? Please email me at britmh7@yahoo.com. Thank you! =)

24. Linda B says:

Did you get all of your paper from Luxe? I love the top project with the 3 vertical pieces. Would love to find the same pattern. Thanks for sharing!

The vibrant red, yellow and orange papers are in the Ambrosia collection by Basic Grey. There are so many beautiful scrapbook papers available, so I’m sure you’ll find something you love! Please do share your completed wall art on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. We’d love to see it! Sharon

25. Pingback: hip walls for cheap. « kitesnsights

26. Kim says:

Instead of paste, try spray mount – it works miles better – clean smooth finish every time.

Thank you for the tip, Kim. A spray adhesive can work great, but do read the label carefully before spraying to be sure it’s safe for STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Some spray adhesives contain solvents which can melt the foam. Sharon

27. ClareBear says:

Wow, I love the Tuscan look. This is such a great idea! I’ve been searching for ideas for my house and I think you have just solved my problem! Thank you for sharing! :)

Hi Clare, Thank you for visiting. You’ll love how easy it is to make this wall art — have fun and enjoy your new look! Sharon (P.S. I’d love to see a photo of it, and you can post it on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts.)

28. velma says:

I definitely love the black and white collection!! It pops against the lime green so well!

29. Sherry says:

Wonderful! Love the hip colors and designs out of basic materials. I’m so inspired:)

Thank you, Sherry. It is a basic and easy idea, and can reflect whatever colors and style you prefer. If you make your own scrapbook wall art, be sure to post your results on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts! Sharon

30. Mike says:

Looks like corporate art from a Starbucks. I guess it would work for an unimaginative 20-something in their first apartment.

• Ashlee says:

How rude! If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

• Jennifer says:

I SO agree! I’m 46, and think it would look dynamite in our house!

Thanks, Jennifer. I hope you get to DIY some of your own wall art soon. Trust me, it’s super easy! And if you do, please share photos of your wall art on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. Sharon

• Mayo Earnest says:

Wow! How very rude! Putting down other people’s taste is in poor taste.

31. Shannn says:

i absolutely love the white and black ones!! where did you get the scrapbook paper from?!

Hi Shannon, Thank you for your comment. The papers are from a company called Luxe, and unfortunately, they are no longer in business. If you google Luxe scrapbook papers, you can still find some of the papers online. Good luck! And please post photos of your wall art on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. We’d love to see them! Sharon

32. al102388 says:

I love the black and white wall art – something I may try to decorate my new apartment!!

Thank you! Here’s another reason to love this idea — you can hang these lightweight, foam panels with poster putty! You won’t need to hammer nails and make holes in your wall, which is great for everyone, and especially apartment dwellers. We’d love to see your finished wall art, please share photos on our Facebook page at StyroCrafts. Sharon

33. love to feature this idea on my next revival monday please let me know if that would be ok.
    lauren