I scream, you scream, the kids will scream for this ice cream craft. These Everlasting Ice Cream Sundaes will never melt or drip, and they come in every flavor. The ingredients to make our ice cream crafts include paint, foam balls, pompoms and glue. And, since sprinkles are not optional, a sprinkling of scrapbook brads are the perfect finishing touch. Easy stuff! What kid wouldn’t want to make an Everlasting Ice Cream Sundae?
Check out our Ice Cream Cone Ornament, too. The Ice Cream Cone Ornaments will bring back summertime memories when you hang them on your Christmas tree. Get a head start on your Christmas crafting, too, and have your kids make a few now to give as gifts later.
Here’s what you need to make an Everlasting Ice Cream Sundae:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 4” ball; small scrap
- Acyclic craft paint (I used Apple Barrel by Plaid)
- Scrapbook brads
- Red pompoms
- Plastic sundae cup (purchased at Wal*Mart)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools: craft stick, pencil, or other pointed tool; sponge brush
To make an Everlasting Ice Cream Sundae:
1. Insert craft stick into foam ball and use it as a handle.
2. Working on a small area, squeeze paint onto foam ball; dab and spread paint with foam brush. Repeat till ball is covered. Insert handle into scrap of foam and let dry.
3. If adding “syrup”, squeeze small amount of paint onto top of ball and let it drip down the side of the ball. Repeat, till you’ve added just the right amount. Let dry.
4. If adding “sprinkles”, insert brads into foam ball.
5. Glue red pompom to top.
6. Place in ice cream sundae cup; glue in place, if desired.
7. Optional: To add a hanger, knot the ends of an 8” length of ribbon. Squeeze a dab of glue on the top of the foam ball, place the knot on the glue, and using a pencil, push the knot into the foam ball. Let dry.
To make the Everlasting Ice Cream Parfait, I used 1-1/2”, 3” and 4” balls. I rolled the 1-1/2” foam ball on the table, compressing it until it would fit into the bottom of the parfait glass. Then, I pressed and twisted together the 3” and 4” balls, creating flat surfaces that would nest together. To finish, follow Steps 1 – 5 above. Glue balls together and display in the parfait glass.
To make the Ice Cream Cone Ornament: I found that a 3” ball was the perfect size for the cone wrapper. However, you can make your own cones from the papers of your choice – simply roll the paper into a cone shape, cut and glue. If you make your own cones, the size of your foam ball might vary. To paint your foam ball, follow Steps 1 – 5 above. To adhere the ball to the cone, run a bead of glue around the inside edge of the paper cone and nestle the ball into the cone; let dry. To add a hanger, knot the ends of an 8” length of ribbon. Squeeze a dab of glue on the top of the foam ball, place the knot on the glue, and using a pencil, push the knot into the foam ball. Let dry.
We have an out-of-this-world giveaway this week! We’re giving away a Solar System kit, and all the paint you need to paint it will be provided by Plaid. Plus, we’ll include a 10-pack of Astronaut Ice Cream! To win, we want to know your favorite ice cream flavor – tell us your favorite flavor by leaving a comment below or on our Facebook page.
**Please note that this giveaway is over.