Don’t you love the soft, frosty shades of sea glass? With a handful of sea glass and seashells, you can craft your own soothing, summertime centerpiece in about an hour. While you might prefer strolling on the beach to collect the sea glass, not to worry if you can’t – most craft stores sell it by the bag, ready to go. (I’ve never had much success finding sea glass at the beach, have you?)
These go pretty fast and you can make several Seashell & Beach Glass Candle Rings, like we show here, to decorate a table indoors or out. Or, change it up with the Sea Glass Mosaic Candlesticks (pictured below) for a breezy, beachy display on the mantel. Pair them with the Sea Glass & Sand Orbs (also pictured below) and you’ll just about hear the soothing surf in your living room.
Here’s what you need to make your Seashell & Beach Glass Candle Rings:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Wreath, 6″ x 1-1/4″ x 1-1/4″
- Seashells, assortment of 2″ or smaller shells
- Sea glass, 1″ or smaller, pale blue/green/white assortment
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Votive candle
- (Note: the Starfish Candle Ring pictured in the upper right used 18 tellin or scallop shells; 50 ¾” turrids; five small starfish. You might also want a matte-finish, white spray paint for this one.)
To make the Seashell & Beach Glass Candle Rings:
1. Wash and dry shells and sea glass if needed.
2. Arrange shells on foam wreath, starting with the largest shells and finishing with smaller shells. Display shells randomly or in pairs, mixing and matching to get the effect you like. When pleased with the arrangement, glue shells to wreath ring.
3. Glue sea glass to inner and outer foam edges.
4. To make the Starfish Candle Ring, spray paint turrid shells white (optional). Glue shells around wreath edge, close together with points facing up. Let dry.
5. Glue large shells to top of wreath, facing one direction and slightly overlapping. Glue starfish to top of shells as shown. Let dry.
Looking for more ideas for crafting with sea glass? You’ll find instructions for the Sea Glass Mosaic Candlesticks and the Sea Glass & Sand Orbs, both designed by Kathleen George, on www.styrofoamcrafts.com. The photos below link directly to the project instructions.
P.S. Don’t forget to check out our Perfect Pet Photo Cube giveaway. We’ll select a prize winner at the end of the day Tuesday, July 19.