What can you make with your old jeans? How about repurposing your old jeans to make an all-American, Patriotic Denim Wreath and Patriotic Denim Topiary Cone? Not only will you repurpose your jeans, but these are quick and easy crafts, too. I made this duo in about two hours, so you can create these tonight and have them on display by tomorrow. Let’s get crafting!
Give these a whirl – you won’t be disappointed. (If you’d also like to make the Patriotic Rag Balls, we have a tutorial here.)
Here’s what you need to make the Denim & Flowers Wreath:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 2” x 12” wreath
- Denim, ¼ yd.
- Fabric or ribbon for flowers (I used both and my ribbon was 1-5/16” wide)
- Tools needed: Scissors OR rotary cutter and mat; sewing machine OR needle & thread; straight pins; low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
To make the Denim & Flowers Wreath:
1. Cut four, 1-1/4” x 58” denim strips. For more frayed edges, roll fabric between hands. Glue one end of fabric strip to back of wreath and wrap around wreath, overlapping edges. When finished, glue other end to back of wreath. Repeat with additional strips till wreath is covered (depending on how tightly you wrap your wreath, you will have some fabric leftover).
2. To make larger fabric flowers, cut 1-1/2” x 8” fabric strips. Using sewing machine or with needle and thread, baste along long edge. Gently pull on bobbin thread to gather fabric. Fabric will curl into a circle, forming flower. Overlap ends and glue. To make smaller flowers, use a 1” wide fabric strip.
3. To make ribbon flowers (these are the red flowers), repeat Step 2, using an 8” length of ribbon. To make smaller flowers, trim ribbon to 1” wide and use a 7” length.
4. Arrange flowers on wreath, pinning in place till you like your arrangement; glue flowers to wreath. Glue buttons in flower centers. Hint: Several of my buttons had a shiny finish, and I wanted a matte finish. I sprayed my buttons with Krylon Matte Finish before adding to the wreath.
5. To hang the wreath, cut a 3/8” x 8” length of ribbon and fold in half. Pin and glue to back of wreath.
Here’s what you need to make the Denim & Ruffles Topiary:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 12” x 5” cone
- Denim, ½ yd.
- Patriotic fabric, 1/8 yd.
- Star pick
- Tools needed: Scissors; rotary cutter and matt (optional); sewing machine & thread; straight pins; low temp glue gun and glue sticks
To make the Denim & Ruffles Topiary:
1. Place cone along edge of denim; roll cone in fabric till covered. Pin to hold in place and cut off excess fabric. Glue fabric on cone. Trim excess fabric around bottom of cone. Trim excess fabric at top of cone, leaving an extra inch or two. Leaving excess fabric at the top will form more of a point, and leave an opening through which to insert the star pick.
2. Cut two, 2-1/2” x 40” strips of patriotic fabric. Sew basting stitch down center of fabric strips. To ruffle, gently pull the bobbin thread at the end of the strips (it’s easiest to gather a ruffle when pulling the bobbin thread where you ended stitching vs. the beginning). Continue to carefully pull and ruffle the fabric; do not force it, as the thread will break. You will need a ruffled strip approximately 32” – 36” long to wrap around the cone.
3. Wind the ruffles around the cone, pinning to hold in place. When pleased with appearance, glue ruffled strips in place.
4. Insert star pick into top.
Make one, make both, make something to celebrate Independence Day! How will you celebrate the 4th of July?