A crafty, candy topiary tutorial: How to make a Lollipop Tree

Candy Crafts: Lollipop Topiary

How "sweet" is this?

When I saw this Lollipop Tree on Meet the Dubiens, I knew I wanted to share it here.  It’s a fast and fun craft, with lots of kid appeal.  Plus, Jillian’s photography is really wonderful. Her blog is chockfull of fun inspiration for the younger set, too.  Her Fun Food Fridays are so clever and make me feel like a totally lame mom!

Jillian made the Lollipop Trees for her daughter’s candy-themed fourth birthday party. The candy topiaries would make sweet centerpieces for summertime picnics and family reunions, too.  With a quick run to a discount or dollar store, you could pick up enough lollipops for each child to make his or her own.  What kid wouldn’t love that?  And you’ll love that it’s no mess – no glue or paint needed!

Many thanks to Jillian for sharing her tutorial with Crafts ‘n Coffee:

To make the Lollipop Tree you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Ball, size of your choice
  • Terra cotta pot large enough to hold the ball
  • Dum Dum Pops

(Note:  To help you gauge your supplies, Jillian’s pot was 4″ in diameter at the opening, and her foam ball was 5″ – 6″.  The bag of 300 Dum Dum Pops almost covered two topiaries.)

DIY candy topiary tutorial

Here's what you'll need.

To make the Lollipop Tree:

1. Place the ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam on the pot.

DIY candy topiary

Just insert lollipops till the ball is covered.

2. Starting at the top, begin inserting the lollipops, keeping them close together. Continue, till you’ve covered all exposed portions of the ball.

3. You’re done!  Enjoy!

Huge craft fail: candy topiary
Craft fail!

How easy is that?  Much easier than the last time I tried to make a candy topiary, that’s for sure.  Can you say “craft fail”?

Thank you, again, Jillian for sharing your Lollipop Tree tutorial with us.

What crafts have you seen online that you really love?  Do tell.

Happy Crafting!

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Kid's Crafts, Topiaries and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to A crafty, candy topiary tutorial: How to make a Lollipop Tree

1. Danielle says:

Hi! I am making a Mickey Mouse lollipop tree for my daughters 2nd birthday. I’m having a hard time thinking of something to hold up the 2 small styrofoam balls for the ears. The pops are weighing them down every time I try something. Any ideas?

Thanks Danielle:)

Hi Danielle, I’m trying to picture your Mickey Mouse lollipop tree. It sounds like you’ve used three balls — one for the head and two for the ears, and have covered all three with lollipops? If this is the case, I imagine those ears are very heavy! My suggestion is to insert a 1/4″ wood dowel between the ears and the head. Start with one dowel, and you might even need two. The dowel(s) will help support the weight of the ears. Let me know if this works, o.k.? Good luck! Sharon

2. Joan says:

How did you secure the styrofoam to the pot on the dum dum topiary?

Hi Joan, I used a low-temp glue gun. Once you add the lollipops, the ball is almost heavy enough to stay in the pot on its own. Let me know how yours turns out. Happy crafting! Sharon

3. Michelle says:

I love this idea for center pieces for our school Teacher’s Appreciation lunch. The only thing is the strofoam balls are really expensive. I have to do 5 of these, do you know where I can find them cheaper?

4. Keshya says:

Hi, Can you use other things apart from lollipops? I was thinking of using edible glue and sticking on sweeties?

Absolutely! You can use just about any type of candy, as long as it’s not too heavy. For an edible glue, experiment with frosting — adding powdered sugar to get to a consistency that will grip and stay on your foam. Have fun! Sharon

5. Danielle says:

I made one. It was super easy and super cute! I am making 3 for table centerpieces for a baby shower I am throwing. I found the 5″ styrofoam balls at Hobby Lobby and I used a coupon too. I put the balls in painted tin planters I found at Dollar General.

6. How many lollipops do you need to cover a ball? Also I would like to do a double lollipop tree what would you advise I need to put something like that together so it would be a bottom tier and then a stick and a top tier.

Hi Nathalie, When I made mine, I had a 42.8-ouce bag of Dum Dum lollipops, and it contained 250 pops. I had quite a few leftover, so perhaps I used 150 or so. The ball gets rather heavy when covered with lollipops and I think it will be very difficult to add a second ball, due to its weight. You could try it, and use a wood dowel between the two balls. If you find it doesn’t work, you can always rest the top ball in another pot. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out. Happy crafting. Sharon

7. Chrissie says:

Hi! Love this idea and want to use it for my son’s Bar Mitzvah Candy Bar. My question is I don’t understand how to secure the ball to the pot….do I use hot glue? I can’t just rest it there because these 13 year olds are known to wreak havoc, and I’m sure it wouldn’t last a second…..any ideas would be much appreciated! Thanks so much for this great blog!
    Best
    Chrissie

Hi Chrissie, Thanks for stopping in. I would adhere the ball to the pot using a low-temperature glue gun. You can use the high-temp glue guns, but it may melt a small portion of the foam. Good luck, and enjoy the party! Sharon

8. sheri says:

Awesome idea!!!! My sons 3rd birthday party is in a week and its a thomas the train theme and I think these would fit in so well as center pieces on his tables. Love it.

9. Cookie17 says:

Hi, One my grandson’s 9 his favorite candy this week is sucker’s next month who knows,lol,lol, I’ll have to make him one ( tree) Also likes those sticks has same flavor look like suckers but if broke doesn’t want it,picky ,ha,ha, Love Blog

10. Luann Voisine says:

I have been looking at several sights that have lollipop topiaries, and the general consensus it to trim about an inch off the sticks as they do get crowded. They are all on styrofoam as well. I’m going to try one for my daughters candy buffet at her reception…wish me luck!!!

11. Vicki says:

Hi Sharon, thank you so much for your prompt reply and advice, it’s much appreciated. Yes, I think it would be easier to rest the ball on a pot rather than attaching it to a dowel rod due to the weight, in fact that is what I am considering doing with my failed attempt by hiding the broken part. I have seen many candy trees online so thought I would attempt one and save some money by doing it myself but it is proving more difficult than I realised! You’re right, styrofoam is not easily found here in the UK, it is mainly polystyrene balls. I’ve had a quick look on Amazon and they have them but cost over £13 for one 6″ ball – a little too pricey! I will have a look in local art/craft shops and see if they stock them, if not, I may have to resort to buying a ready made tree online! Thanks again for your help and I’ll let you know how I get on! Vicki

12. Vicki says:

Hi, this lollipop tree looks great and seems fairly easy to do! I’m attempting to make one inserted on a piece of dowling (so it looks like a bay tree) for my daughter’s birthday party but I’m having trouble with it and wonder if you can give me some advice please? I bought a 10cm polystyrene ball and see that you used styrofoam so maybe this was my initial downfall! When inserting the lollies they were difficult to insert once it became quite full and the plastic lolly sticks started to bend, clashing with each other (if that makes sense) so I trimmed them down which made it slightly easier, however, three quarters of the way through the project the ball cracked and split in two due to the weight I assume! Do you know what I’m doing wrong – ball too small, wrong type of ball, or maybe I’m pushing them in too far as I notice your’s are left out a little? Any suggestions you can give will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi Vicki, I am so sorry that your ball cracked. I think the ball can get quite heavy, and when the ball is on a dowel rod, there’s no support system for it. When the ball rests on a pot, the pot helps to bear the weight of the lollipops. If you can be flexible with the design and use a pot, I think that will help. Also, the type of molded foam ball you’re using is a denser foam and more likely to split and break. Unfortunately, STYROFOAM Brand Foam from Dow is not widely available overseas and I’m not sure you’ll be able to purchase it locally. If you have the time, you can purchase STYROFOAM Brand Foam online and have it shipped to you. I hope this info helps — please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck! Sharon

13. Sharon says:

Thanks for the comment, Eileen. What a craft fail day that was — on an extremely, unseasonbly hot & humid day, I was trying to make a candy cone with icing and Jordan almonds. As you can see, I had a major meltdown! Live & learn — it’s all part of the fun!

14. eileenhull says:

What a great easy project! Love that… I am afraid to ask what the craftfail was all about but it looks like marshmallow egg candies and icing? haha