I have another Christmas wreath idea today – a Faux Bois, Winter Woodland Wreath. Who can resist taking a closer look at this miniature, woodland scene? It really brings the wreath to life, don’t you think? You can have fun building your own vignette with different woodland creatures, or add snowmen, penguins, angels, or miniature houses. Here’s another idea – bring it indoors and stage a fireside Christmas scene. Make this Christmas wreath idea your own.
To make a Faux Bois, Winter Woodland Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Wreath, 12” x 2”
- Faux bois wrapping paper*
- White paper
- Poly-fil stuffing, handful
- Miniatures: Three, snow-tipped evergreens; deer
- Monofilament or fishing line
- Adhesive tape: double-sided and regular
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; pencil; tape measure
*I’ve listed several sources for faux bois paper below.
To make a Faux Bois, Winter Woodland Wreath:
1. Place the wreath face-down on the back of a 15” x 15” piece of faux bois wrapping paper. Lightly trace around the inside and outside of the wreath.
2. Cut out the ring of wrapping paper, adding ¾” to both the inside and outside of the ring.
3. Cut tabs every ½” around the inside and outside edges of the wreath, cutting to the pencil lines.
4. Wrap a strip of double-sided tape around the top edges on the inside and outside of the foam wreath.
5. Center the wreath over the paper, and carefully place it on the paper circle, aligning it with the traced pencil lines. Fold tabs over onto the double-sided tape.
6. Use a tape measure to measure around the outside (circumference) of the wreath and the height of the wreath. Cut a paper strip to these measurements, adding 1” to the length.
7. Wrap double-sided tape around the top and bottom edges on the outside of the wreath. Carefully adhere the paper strip around the outside of the wreath, overlapping the seams.
8. Repeat Steps 6 & 7 to cover the inside of the wreath.
9. Arrange the deer and evergreens and glue in place.
10. Fill in with polyfil “snow”, and glue in place.
11. Cut five tiny, 1” snowflakes from white paper. Hang at different heights using clear fishing line and tape.
If you can’t find the faux bois wrapping paper in stores, here are a few more sources:
- The Paper Source sells faux bois wrapping paper in several colors, and in sheets, too.
- There are lots of options on etsy, like this one with a digital file you can download and print in numerous colors.
- This etsy sellers offers a more subtle woodgrain.
- And here’s one more seller of digital faux bois papers.
Tomorrow’s the big day, isn’t it? Have you made plans to celebrate Halloween? I’ll be celebrating with a new giveaway, and it’s going to be a fun one. I’ll see you tomorrow!