It’s Candy Corn Crafts Week! This week is all about making Halloween crafts with a candy corn theme. I love candy corn crafts almost as much as candy corn itself, and I’ve made candy corn with duct tape, fabric, and scrapbook paper. Each year, I wonder if I’ll run out of fresh ideas for candy corn crafts and then inspiration hits. Today’s sparkling and colorful Glittered Candy Corn is one of my favorites. To celebrate all things candy corn, I have a sweet giveaway this week, too.
To make Glittered Candy Corn, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 18” x 1” sheet; optional: 5” cube or scrap piece
- Scrap paper (for pattern)
- Acrylic craft paints in orange, white and yellow
- Glitter, crystaline
- Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins; sharp pencil; Exacto® knife; wood skewers; stiff paintbrushes, 1” and ½” wide; newspaper
To make Glittered Candy Corn:
1. Draw a candy corn pattern on scrap paper. To make my pattern, I drew a triangle that measured 5” at the base and was 7” tall. Round the corners to create the candy corn shape. Cut out the pattern.
2. Pin the pattern to the foam sheet, and draw around pattern with sharp pencil.
3. Remove pattern, and score again on the lines you made earlier with the pencil, this time using the Exacto knife. Score the foam as deeply as you can.
4. Position the foam so that the score line is along the edge of a table, and snap off the extra foam. (I’ve used several techniques to cut out candy corn the last few years, and this method is the easiest yet.) Round the corners and any rough edges with a scrap piece of foam.
5. Insert a wood skewer or chopstick into the bottom of the candy corn, and use this as a handle as you paint. Squeeze paint directly onto the foam, and paint to look like a candy corn. I used the larger, 1” brush to fill in most areas, and the more narrow, ½” brush for better control where one color ended and another began.
6. Working over newspaper or a box lid, liberally sprinkle the wet paint with glitter.
7. Insert your handle into the foam block, or another scrap of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, and let dry.
8. Display the candy corn on a mantel, shelf, tabletop, or just about anywhere.
For another super-sized candy corn idea, check out the candy corn made with scrapbook paper.
I also have a tutorial to make these Candy Corn Cuties with duct tape.
And now, the giveaway . . . To celebrate Candy Corn Crafts Week, I’m giving away two Candy & Crafts Prize Packages. Two winners will receive one bag each of classic, Indian, s’mores, and caramel macchiato candy corn. Also in the prize package are copies of Better Homes & Gardens Halloween Tricks & Treats, Holiday Crafts and Christmas Ideas!
To win this treat filled prize, tell me about the magazines, blogs, web sites and other places you go for craft ideas. I’m eager to know where you find your inspiration. You have till Monday, September 22, and I’ll announce the winner on Tuesday, September 23.
Happy candy corn crafting.